Shetland rally

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

neil

Shetland rally

Post by neil »

Bike well loaded up for home run 3 man tent, camping chair, 16 cans of cider cause I didn't drink my 25 drink allowance on this rally. Great views at this point called Mavis Grind which has Atlantic ocean one side and North sea within stones throw of each other

This fisherman has fed the same seal for 8 years
My tent had a great view in morning

Ferry to Shetland, because I'd been enjoying the ride in Cumbria and north pennines arrived for ferry with 10 minutes to spare, last bike on. Good timing considering I'd done 400 miles that day to get there.

Close to puffins at south of island. Missed the killer whales by about an hour there
Image]
Reflection at Mavis Grind, Atlantic ocean

View of campsite

Inter island ferry

Random double decker in middle of nowhere

Weather station in self service cafe. Fill the kettle, boil it make drink leave money in honesty box. I didnt pay for the rusty seat which broke when I sat on it
This sand connection is called a "tombolo" quite rare. Island is St. Ninians beautiful place.

Roads were brilliant. No traffic, no police, no pot holes, long rolling hill and sweeping bends. Just perfect for bikes

Wind turbines going up all over the moors, controversial spoiling peat bogs
12 hour overnight ferry, paid £18 extra for this pod seat. It was awful. Slept on floor near bar on way back

I know its not a VTR but I've still got one. While some of you guys were in Dorset I went to Shetland for Simmer Dim rally. Had great time. Weather was best they've had for years. It's £90, for that you get discounted ferry crossing cost me £123 return but wasted £36 on pod seat, 25 drinks tokens, 3 evening meals, tea coffee drinks provided, some good bands and music until about 3.30am each night, 3 nights camping. As I said roads were so good. I did 1300 miles in the 6 days, 800 of them was to and from Aberdeen for ferry.
Last edited by neil on Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redvtr
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Shetland rally

Post by sirch345 »

It sounds like you had a great time, the lovely weather obviously helped :thumbup:

Thanks for posting up the photo's, some cracking scenery there 8)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Looks great fun, you wouldn't necessarily expect better roads on the islands than in the mainland given the extremes of weather.
You certainly got lucky with the weather, though!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
neil

Post by neil »

Thanks Tony. Road improvements were one of the benefits of oil industry there.
redvtr
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That looks stunning :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF