SC 36 Honda Ignition Map DATA

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mallebollia

SC 36 Honda Ignition Map DATA

Post by Mallebollia »

Goal: I want to clone the original Honda ignition matrix in an Ignitech CDI.

A little story:

I have a VTR 1000 F (2001 with fuel gauge) and Ive read probbably all of 1000.org and Superhawk Forum about ignition timing and the +4 ignition advancer, pros and cons, what it does and the theories about the later models of the VTR ignition rotor. Over the years alot of ppl here changed to a +4 ignition rotor and witnessed "an alarming engine noise" which is a direct consequence of the advance: more advance means more pressure = louder bang. Installing a + 4 rotor advances the hole ignition matrix by +4 which has its uses but also disdvantages and dangers. As the +4 rotor is not available anyhow for a long time I have been lookingfor another solution which lead me to a programmable Ignition matrix from ignitech (TCIP4 or DCC-DIP2).

Ive found a lot of usefull information from contributors in this forum and others. Along the way this from a stick threat: "Ignition Timing"
VTRDark wrote: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:53 pm IGNITION TIMING

Ignition timing on the VTR 1000F as standard is set to fire the Spark Plug at 15° Before Top Dead Centre (BTDC) at idle as the Piston moves up on the Compression stroke and advances to 42° BTDC at 9,500 rpm.
Ignitech provided a standard V2 mapping for my VTR with ignition values dependent of the TPS-position and rpm (please see picture below) which is very conservative compared and therefore less powerful to the original mapping from the VTR 1000 F. The Base advance in the Ignitech matrix is 5° but the VTR has a standard of 15° so just add +10 to all values to get the right ignition timing. If I remember correctly I ve read that this map seems to be the old 97er VTR map which supports the thesis that oinly the old VTRs benefit from a +4 advancer as the Facelift 1 + 2 (both with fuel gauge) have already some more advanced ignition values in the CDI.

So far so good.

With that in mind its probbably not such a good idea to plug the static +4 advance rotor in. Instead I want to tuneup the values differently between +2 and +4. in the matrix to my personal needs - but from a ignition map of a VTR Facelift Model. To do that I need the original ignition values of the HONDA TCI second generation. It should be possible to read it out with the proper tools/software.

In my opinion that would benefit a great deal to all Firestorm/Superhawk owners.

Can anyone do that/help with useful information/contacts/...?

tony.mon

Re: SC 36 Honda Ignition Map DATA

Post by tony.mon »

First I've heard of alarming engine noises, mine didn't make any noises when I ran a 4 degree advancer for several years.
Except maybe through the Migs with no baffle material in...

There's a cheap and easy option.
Simply slot the holes in the ignition pickup. It can only change ignition timing across the whole range by a fixed amount, but it will illustrate to you whether it's worth the cost and time to do all that work for potentially little gain.
Use a degree wheel to dial in what you need, I'd suggest starting with 4 degrees.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

This thread has useful info. I'm looking at doing the same over winter. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39935

An ignition advance across the range is not what you need on these bikes. If you've got a standard engine I'd not bother with the Ignitech, but you've started already so crack on - no such thing as bad modification, unless it's a 2-1 exhaust.

As always my advice is get it on a Dyno where the operator can adjust timing accurately.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mallebollia

Post by Mallebollia »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:15 pm First I've heard of alarming engine noises, mine didn't make any noises when I ran a 4 degree advancer for several years.

Simply slot the holes in the ignition pickup. It can only change ignition timing across the whole range by a fixed amount, but it will illustrate to you whether it's worth the cost and time to do all that work for potentially little gain.
Use a degree wheel to dial in what you need, I'd suggest starting with 4 degrees.
What do you meas by "slot the holes" exactly? pls elaborate.

What is a degreewheel?

1st generation VTR or Facelift?
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

You could still send your original ICU to Ignitech to read out the map.
Bye
Martin
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Mallebollia wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:32 am
tony.mon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:15 pm First I've heard of alarming engine noises, mine didn't make any noises when I ran a 4 degree advancer for several years.

What do you meas by "slot the holes" exactly? pls elaborate.

What is a degreewheel?

1st generation VTR or Facelift?
The ignition pickup is screwed to the inside of the clutch cover using two round holes. File them oval, and you can adjust its position.

Google "degree wheel for motorcycle".

All models are the same re ignition pickup. The ECU is slightly different, as are the advance tables in each model.

Can you share the "alarming noises" source?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.