Sorry - Going to bore you with a sprocket question AGAIN!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Max

Post by Max »

GEAR 1 2 3 4 5 6

STD 60 90 114 135 151 169

15/44 52 78 99 118 132 148

15/43 53 80 102 120 135 151

15/41 56 84 107 126 141 159

16/43 57 86 109 128 144 161

these are at 9500 rpm and using the rolling radius of my back tyre (020).
Obviously these are theoretical as 169 with std power just aint gonna happen.
My storm on 15/44 and 104 at the wheel on rogers dyno, will pull 10000 in top gear on a slight decline slip streaming behind a GSXR1000. (approx 155)
He then pulled away from me quite quickly, b@st@rd.
Before anyone says how did I keep up accelerating up to that speed, my mate was doing a top gear roll on from 40 ish down this slope and I was using every gear I could find :cry:
Them Gixers r stupidly fast
Max

Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Tempest wrote: Difficult (without trying) to know how much just 2 extra on the back will make (even noticable?)
2 extra is definitely noticeable. Thats what I did first and it was a tight fit on the std chain
When I was due a chain & sprockets I went with an extra link in the chain and a 45 rear
Personally I wouldn't go much lower if you do much motorway mileage coz the extra buzziness (its revving higher) gets irritating after a while
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

I'm just teetering on ordering a 43 tooth rear. But 1 thing I'm just wondering about.........

Steel or Aluminium?

I know I work with metals (we use a lot of Stainless and Titanium where I work, also some cobalt chrome) All for medical implants.

So, the thought of Aluminium (hard anodised) is a bit of a shock.

Before I commit to anything.

Can anyone reassure me that Renthal Hard Anodised (High Strength Enhanced 7075 T6 Aluminium Alloy) is actually going to last !!!!

I know it's a daft question really as if they didn't why would anyone buy them, but my 1st reaction would be, I want a steel one.

Thanks.

=========== EDIT ============

Comments like the 2nd posting down here:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ht=renthal

Concern me.

If not Renthal, then what other make of 43 for a Firestorm rear?
Max

Post by Max »

I bought steel as it was cheaper :D
Max

Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I bought hard anodised coz it was gold and matched the chain :lol:
{tart mode off}

I had a std alloy one initially and that did wear but this one is a lot better so you can put your mind at rest there
As for which to go for, you'd be hard pushed to notice the difference in performance between a steel and an alloy one (if that was you main reason for changing, look at a 520 pitch C&S instead)
Steel is cheaper but looks it too
{Blind date voiceover mode on}
The choice is yours
{Blind date voiceover mode off}
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Stormin Ben wrote:I bought hard anodised coz it was gold and matched the chain :lol:
{tart mode off}

I had a std alloy one initially and that did wear but this one is a lot better so you can put your mind at rest there
As for which to go for, you'd be hard pushed to notice the difference in performance between a steel and an alloy one (if that was you main reason for changing, look at a 520 pitch C&S instead)
Steel is cheaper but looks it too
{Blind date voiceover mode on}
The choice is yours
{Blind date voiceover mode off}
Thanks for that.

Just been up my local bike shop (Nice guy who runs it) and got a few bits (not sprockets)

Had a chat on the subject and he put Hardened Renthal Alloy on his ZX12R. Fine, but no way lasted as long as the steel one it replaced.

Think I've decided to do with steel.

Just need to find a UK supplier of a good make.

===== EDIT =====

Not wanting to bore everyone to death ;)

Just ordered a 43 tooth JT Rear Sprocket.

Model code: JTR 302-43

Four reasons why.

1: Guy I spoke of in the local bike shop said JT were good & lasted well.

2: Seem to sound resonable looking at their website:
http://www.jtsprockets.com/50.0.html

3: I currently have the 41 tooth version of this exact same sprocket so I know everything will work together well.

4: Only cost £20 :)

Should have it later this week, so will be after some idiots guide to changing a rear sprocket soon if anyone could help :)
dookie

Post by dookie »

I run a 43t on the back off my storm m8 and i like it a lot , improves the bike alround and makes 6th gear a worthwile effort rather than the sluggish overide it is as standard.
There was a time i used to care
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I put a 2 tooth bigger on the back. Not a vast difference percentage wise, but so much better to ride in terms of tractability - no need to dip the clutch in 2nd on a tight slow turn at junctions etc and pulls like a fright train after 100 mph as in the torque range.

Excellent mod. Wish I'd done it sooner. I have a TDM900 as well and I'm going to do the same to that.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

dookie wrote:I run a 43t on the back off my storm m8 and i like it a lot , improves the bike alround and makes 6th gear a worthwile effort rather than the sluggish overide it is as standard.
Funny, as on "Normal" A roads, sometimes I'm going along, and think, hmmm, wonder what gear. Click. Into 5th, then click into 6th...

I was in 4th perfectly happy behind a line of cars.

I feel the extra 2 teeth will help just a bit at the lower end (as you say around roundabouts etc) without killing the top end for relaxed motorway work (when I do it occasionally)

to be honest, 99% of my riding is A/B roads anyway.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Stratman wrote:
Excellent mod. Wish I'd done it sooner. I have a TDM900 as well and I'm going to do the same to that.

Ahhhh, Another TDM and Firestorm owner like myself.

Albeit I've got a TDM850 rather than a 900

Although I love my Storm, the TDM is like a comfy sofa when you get onto it after riding the Storm :)
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

You'll find cupasoop is another one of us as well! The TDM is a real laugh - comfy (although I will get some gel in the seat over winter) quick enough to embarrass crap riders on sports bikes and last night I filled up after 204 miles and still had 3 litres left, so around 240 mile range!

Can't beat the Storm on a Sunday morning blast though!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Stratman wrote:last night I filled up after 204 miles and still had 3 litres left, so around 240 mile range!
yeh, tdm's rool KO.............or is that dislexiks? :confused
Rich.

Tempest

Post by Tempest »

cupasoop wrote:
Stratman wrote:last night I filled up after 204 miles and still had 3 litres left, so around 240 mile range!
yeh, tdm's rool KO.............or is that dislexiks? :confused
There can be a lot of confusion with Dyslexia

MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

Erm, I had a TDM850 before the VTR and yes, I loved it. Thats why I had to have another bug twin (fnar). Very under-rated bike indeed, lovely engine. Nice and upright, so you could really fling it around slow country roads and really get a shift on. And you could crack the throttle open and spin the back up coming out - an absolute hoot (Avons lack of grip helped with this..!)

And then I high-sided it...

Not myself to blame at all. It was all the bikes fault. Ahem.