2006 vtr1000f spark issue

General Bike chat
Leon R

2006 vtr1000f spark issue

Post by Leon R »

Hey guys, bit of a different post for you guys but i have recently brought a vtr1000f of someone and he was fully confident on the fact it ran, but anyways i no have got everything mounted and wired up on the harness but not all the handlebar wires, i believe it is a u model so the key isnt wired into the thing so i can just use a screw driver to spin the actual mechanism for it to work, it takes me to full display when i spin it to ignition and the neutral light comes up same with the display like fuel and time and k’s and the low oil light sensor which it should cuz i dont have that much oil in it but from what i believe it should run,

i got the multimeter out and tested the ignition coil’s with the ohms and i set it to the function where it beeps to tell u and in got beeps on both female and male part of the plugs, same with the voltage on it, it gave me around 115v, but then i took off my cdi in suspension that was at fault, i put it on ohms and got no reading at all from the pins coming out of the cdi, same with the voltage only got like 0.02v from the pins, it turns over perfectly fine, im pretty sure i found the killswitch plug and put a switch to that so i am unsure of whats not causing spark.

Also the engine is going into a lawnmower :lol: :lol: , im a fabricator so i can make it all sturdy and everything, it has a bull bar and previously did wheelies with the original engine.

If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Cheers, Leon.
Leon R

Re: 2006 vtr1000f spark issue

Post by Leon R »

Also sorry for spelling I recently got into a work incident and lacorated my tendon and ligament on my thumb so its hard to type
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ok, First off what's the year of the bike ?

Where are you located ?

Can you post a picture of the CDI unit ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Leon R

Post by Leon R »

Hey, the year was in the title, i believe its a 2006 bike,
Im located queensland Australia

Hopefully that linky works, its a grey cdi with black sylicone bottom, 6 pin female plug
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

My first port of call would be try another CDI.

Check all fuses as well, however as you say the dash lights up it wont be the main fuse.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Is the ignitor trigger plugged in that comes outa the clutch casing? easy overlooked
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:19 pm Is the ignitor trigger plugged in that comes outa the clutch casing? easy overlooked
It is the only connector on a Storm loom that can be connected to the wrong place. All of the other connectors are a unique size or shape, but the ignition trigger and the orange light of death connector lh side of the battery are the same, and can be wrongly connected.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Leon R

Post by Leon R »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:20 am My first port of call would be try another CDI.

Check all fuses as well, however as you say the dash lights up it wont be the main fuse.
Thanks for the response, iv got all fuses plugged in, i believe it might be arfter getting w multimeter to the cdi and getting no reading on ohms
Leon R

Post by Leon R »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:19 pm Is the ignitor trigger plugged in that comes outa the clutch casing? easy overlooked
Thanks for the response, im unsure atm what cable that is as i have just brought the engine frame and wiring harness, no back end of the bike or handlebars
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

The later models have an immobilizer system called HISS.
For your purpose, you should use a CDI without that fuss.

Another possibility is that you didn't notice the VTR actually has 2 "ignition boxes". One that controls the timing (ICU) and the other one actually creating the spark (converter)

BTW: No measuring on the CDI unless you like to destroy things. There's no resistance or voltage you could get there to check if it works unless you're using an oscilloscope and check the in/output signals with a running/cranking engine.
Here's the signals you could measure:
https://www.vtr1000.de/index.php?thread ... k-vtr1000f

If I were you I'd get a CDI from the earlier models (think it was up to 2001?) and connect that manually using the older wiring diagram & loom.

If the pockets & electric knowledge are deeper, you should use an Ignitech DC CDI P2 (that's a programmable ignition). It saves both stock boxes, the converter and the ICU plus offers features like shift light or power shifter.
Check here on how to connect: https://www.vtr1000.de/index.php?thread ... C3%BCndbox
Bye
Martin
Leon R

Post by Leon R »

Hey, thanks for the response, im going to try and get a new cdi for it but when i get home ill have a look :thumbup:
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

BTW: We all love pics of tinkering projects with VTR engines :-)
Bye
Martin