To the guys that have done the handle bar conversion

General Bike chat
dookie

To the guys that have done the handle bar conversion

Post by dookie »

Going to put some handlebars on , ive had enough of being uncomfy and getting a stiff neck.
Can the guys who have done this (Tony Wilde , Fireman on a storm) and any one else please post me some piccys so as i have an idea where to start cutting the fairing.
Out of busters i need renthall ultra low bars and angled handlebar risers plus some renthall bar ends? is that right?
Just fitted some braided lines that are longer than standard so i think they will be ok.
Any help and piccys much apreciated as the gallery pics in the old posts on the subject dont work.
There was a time i used to care
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Tony has a full how to do it thread on here somewhere!

I'll have a search, but I am sure Tiny will point you in the right direction
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 52&start=0

click and be learned!!! :D

paul...im not that tiny??? :lol:
dookie

Post by dookie »

Yeah but the photos dont work guys :cry:
Im after some side on photos if poss
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

this ok?

Fireman on a Storm

I'll draw round the off cuts of my fairing, scan them and e/mail them to you if you send me a PM with your e.mail address.
I'll take a picture and e/mail that as well.
Might not be able to do it until the weekend!
Paul
dookie

Post by dookie »

Thanks tony and fireman , i see on your old bike tony that you have straight risers , did anyone use the angled risers?
Also how did you cut your fairings? dremel?
Also i suppose it makes the visibilty with the mirrors even worse?
Fireman on a Storm

Tony's snd mine were angled riser not straight!
Picture being sent today!
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

how much you need to trim depends on what risers and bars you fit - with some you only need to take a bit, with mine I had to take a lot of fairing and screen.

zzr600e1

Post by zzr600e1 »

lovely bike that Steve, nice pipes :) same as mine

Andy
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

zzr600e1 wrote:lovely bike that Steve, nice pipes :) same as mine

Andy
be even better when I can get the damn moriwaki bellypan to fit without it melting on the downpipe :?

TBH it's a bit rough round the edges still, I only found out it was an insurance write off AFTER swapping it for my CCM.... I now realise why the guy was so helpful delivering it etc. Still it's had plenty of tlc and a lot of replacement parts from ebay she's very nearly 100% again
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtrsteve wrote:
zzr600e1 wrote:lovely bike that Steve, nice pipes :) same as mine

Andy
be even better when I can get the damn moriwaki bellypan to fit without it melting on the downpipe :?

TBH it's a bit rough round the edges still, I only found out it was an insurance write off AFTER swapping it for my CCM.... I now realise why the guy was so helpful delivering it etc. Still it's had plenty of tlc and a lot of replacement parts from ebay she's very nearly 100% again
Sorry Dookie I know I'm going off topic :!:

Steve how did you rate your CCM, which model was it and did you miss it once you got the storm :?:

Chris.
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

sirch345 wrote:Steve how did you rate your CCM, which model was it and did you miss it once you got the storm :?:

Chris.
I had a '99 rotax engined 604 dual sport in supermoto trim. It was a right hoot to ride and I found I used the CCM more than my first storm whilst I had both. It was easier on my wrists and knees than the storm and after a while I decided the 1st storm would go as I couldn't justify having 2 bikes.

As a twisty back road blaster the CCM was spot on but 95mph flat out got really annoying after a while especially going to the IOM. A week in the IOM and a trackday at Oulton park the following week killed the main bearings and cost £500 for an engine rebuild. Build quality was ok-ish but paint wore off the engine casings and frame within 5000 miles. Had a few probs with the electric start and I didn't have the strength to kick it over.

I could deck the pegs and get my knee down so grip was good with dunlop gpr70's, 70miles per fill up not so good. Needed oil changes every 1500-2000 miles and that in itself was a complicated task.

I got rid of it purely cos I was doing more distance riding than the CCM would allow comfort wise so wanted a bike that had the reliability/grunt of the storm with the big wide bars of the CCM, hence the end result I have now :D I don't miss it now but have fond memories of some of the mischief I got up to on it.

I think I fell into the supermoto ideal of more fun at a slower pace but in reality you wind up killing the bike to make decent progress - I'd consider having another BUT it would have to be a second bike.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for that Steve, you described the CCM very well, it certainly looks like a lovely bike, thats exactly the sort of off roader I'd always dreamed of, in Super Motard guise :!:

The reason I asked was a guy I know has sold his Fireblade (one of the earlier ones) and has now got a KTM (may be a Duke) in Super Moto trim as his only bike, so I was interested to hear your views on a similar type of bike. I don't see him very often and I haven't seen him myself since he's got it, so I don't know what he thinks yet :!:

Chris.