Timing

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

Took the rear cylinder off today. First chance i have had as luckily i do not start work until 1700.
Actually came off quite easily. Was harder to get the rear exhaust pipe and carbs off!

Anyway, with it all off i have had a good look at it. It appears that the exhaust valves are damaged, as even though the head is off, there is still a sizeable gap between the valves and the head, almost as if they are being held open. Have compared that to the replacement one, and they are all flush, so hopefully that is what it was.

And to my great relief, there is not a mark on the piston. As there is a carbon build up on it, any mak would be clear, and there is none thankfully.

So i have my new CCT, CCT gasket and head gasket from David Silvers for £60 plus £100 for the cylinder and gubbins from Del, so it looks hopefully as if that is all there is. Whack it together tomorrow, give it a full oil and filter change and hopefully she should be as right as rain!

Many many thanks to Derek for all his help. Without him i would still be up poo creek with nothing to paddle with

Thanks Derek, i really do appreciate it.
StevePJ

Post by StevePJ »

Fitted it all back a couple of days ago, checked the timing, new oil, filter and plugs. Fresh coolant etc.
Turned her over by hand a few times and all was running free

Shaking as i went to start her, in case i had forgotten something. Hit the starter button. Nothing, nada, nil.......

Sh1t, sh1t, and more sh1t.

Turns out, as i haven't started her for nigh on three weeks, but not disabled the alarm, the battery was flat........

So onto the Optimate overnight. Go in this morning.....shaking, press the start button...turns over a few times (carbs were empty) then.......................................

woo hoo she started.

Sounds fine except as it's fresh camshafts and valves i need to recheck the clearances as they are a bit tappety, but thats a piece of pee after what i have just had to do.

All in all it's cost about £200 including a full service and new bits, garage quoted me up to £500, so a bit of a saving, plus i know that all the bits have been replaced with new......and i feel so chuffed i have done it all myself with some advice from Del!!!!!!! and others on here (and a couple of other forums!)

Many thanks guys....

But, i really feel uneasy riding her now, so i think it's gonna be time for a change...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pleased too hear you've fixed your bike now and have it running without the misfire, you must be well pleased :!:

Chris.