Newbie with slippery problem?

General Biker Banter
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

208s.... arnt they made from recycled condoms?

Seriously change the tyres for some Bridgstone 010/020/014's they are the best!

(side note, im running whats left of an 020 on the rear now, the difference in grip loss in the wet between the 020 and 014 is amazing!!!)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Red

Post by Red »

Hi Squiffy,

Think you got a point there about the D208s :wink:

On the subject of Bridgestones, what type should I go for to get good grip in the wet 010, 014, or 020. Do I go for battlax's or do they make other brands in 010, 014, or 020. :?

By the way thanks for your pointers and suggestions
:D
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Hiya,

Depends how many miles you are going to do and how big your pockets are:

010- the original "grippy" tyre, now replaced by the 014 but still very good and you can pick these up cheaper now if you can find a pair

020- the touring version, less grip but you can expect more like 5k from a trye! (if your commuting get this)

014- the daddy, most expensive, will last around 2-3k miles and offers amazing grip, both in the dry and wet! (if you can afford to commute on these its worth it, around £170 a pair)

Toby
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Red

Post by Red »

Squiffy,

Thanks for the info on tyres might go for the 014s if I'am flush.

Chris
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

It's not a 10hp yam or a 40hp kwak your on now, it's a big 100hp v twin. Stop twisting the throttle so much coming out of tight corners and the back will stop sliding.
Have to agree here - there's lots of torque and its instant - in the wet perhaps 1 gear higher than in the dry anyway?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Kitch.
Michelin Pilots were christened 'Pile-ups' on Caterham cars as they last forever but with no grip worth calling any. Awful things.

Something I found coming from a 600cc across the frame four was the engine braking on the VTR and the ease with which if you tap it down a couple of gears (as you would on a little 'un) the revs don't just wizz up to match and it's easy to get a wheel lock-up situation without really trying hard. I also found myself getting lost-in-the-'box due to the much larger torque of the 'V' twin so got myself a digital gear indicator off of eBay for forty quid new. Looks good and is very helpful at knowing where you are.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Well, as regards tyres, I'm very reliably informed that the new Avon Vipers are the mutts nutts.

So, I'm having some slapped on and will let folks know how they go.

Pilot Powers, Pirelli Diablos and BT014's seem generally to be the most popular and are mostly very highly praised.

People who have tried the Avon Vipers are raving about them just now. Reportedly, they have wet grip way better than anything else and give silly amounts of grip in the dry.

I'll let you know how they go once I've got them on.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.