VTR1000 Advice wanted please

General Bike chat
hornet_basher

VTR1000 Advice wanted please

Post by hornet_basher »

Hello All,

Iv'e been after a vtr1000 for a while now and have just been offered the following.

1998 r reg, red ,45k, 2 owners, full history (honda to 20k) all standard for £1895.

I'm a bit worried about the miles , can vtr's do this mileage ok?
Does the price seem ok and what should of/will needto be replaced after this many miles.

Thanks
Basher
EGG

Re: VTR1000 Advice wanted please

Post by EGG »

1998 r reg, red ,45k, 2 owners, full history (honda to 20k) all standard for £1895.

Hi basher i would not buy it without confirming with who carried out the servcing if all was ok. £1895 is about £350 to much. Have a look in MCN or autotrader. There a lot of stroms out there take your time and get the right 1. Good luck. :twisted:
Better to burn out than just fade away!
hornet_basher

Post by hornet_basher »

Thanksfor the advice.

Anyone here on the list running a high mileage storm ?
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

I think Thore from the Netherlands has about 80,000 kms on his, which is similar to yours. My first storm had at least 40,000 miles on it when I sold it and although it was a bit past its best it still ran fine and would've happily carried on for longer with a bit of TLC.

The main things I would look at, would be whether the valve clearances have been done regularly, whether it's had any camchain tensioner replacements, and what oil has been used.

I would suspect that the valve stem oil seals will have seen better days so it may smoke a bit when shutting the throttle from higher rpm (to be expected unless its really bad). Smoke any other time could indicate piston ring wear though.

Basically at that price (haggle a bit) you're getting a helluva lot of bike for your money. What else can you get for that price that will give you anywhere near the same amount of performance or fun.

You pays your money you takes your choice. Don't expect perfection for 1800 quid.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch