cct's

General Bike chat
dad

cct's

Post by dad »

G,day fellow storm lovers in the UK,my name is Simon and i hail from sunny Melbourne Australia.I have got a red 2000 model storm and i was poking around the net trying to find the facts about the cct problem when i found your site.I wish we had a site like this in Aust but most people over here are power hungry and overlook great bikes like the storm and go and buy R1s,Blades and GSXR thous which 95% of them cant ride properly,but thats good as i delight in embarassing their race reps around the twisties on a sports tourer with 40 less HP.Anyway back to my problem, i have two friends with storms that have just recently lunched their motors because of the cct,s spring breaking, one happened at 100 ks and nearly spat him off and the other was idleing in his driveway about to go for a ride.This has made me a little concerned as i dont want it to happen to my bike wkich has only 13,000 ks on the clock so i went to the dealers around my area to try and see what they knew,and of course they all said gees mate i've never heard of that happening which we all know is bullshit.I managed to find an independant mechanic who has done a few and he said yes they do break but only when the cam chain is worn and the cct plunger is fully extended and that i will have no problems to at least 30000 ks when to be sure he recommends replacing the chains and cct's.I personally think this is pretty piss poor by Honda as you should not have to spend that kind of money at such low milage especially as i have an old KLR 600 road trail bike i've had for 17 years with 70000 ks on the clock with an untouched moter that still runs great.I love the bike and dont want to sell it but i need peace of mind when i'm fanging through the hills that nothings going to go bang suddenly.Has anyone heard of a Storm that has blown up prior to 30000 ks?,should i hunt up some manual cct's just to be safe?,is there any way of knowing that they are about to break?or anyway of safeguarding to prevent it happening?,any tips or knowledge would be very much appreciated.Also while my typing finger is warm i need new tyres and was thinking 208s or pilot sports, whats the tyre that suits the storm best?.My bike has 50 mm alloy cans on it and i want to put in a K+N filter in it but was warned that it will need rejeting, is this correct?.Thanks for your time and advice and happy and safe riding. PS i have the the factory workshop manual on cd and if anyone would like a copy just email me at jusspe@optushome.com.au and i will zip it up and put it in Kazaa. :D
jpickup

Post by jpickup »

Mine went at 8000 miles = 13000 km, bike 3 years old. Fortunately bike was only revving at about 2000rpm so no damage to valves, etc. Dealer contacted Honda and got parts paid for by them even though bike was out of waranty. I had to pay for labour though.
smeggy_smeg

CCT's....

Post by smeggy_smeg »

I posted a similar question on the Yahoo VTR list, alas, not many replies considering it's such a big issue.

A different rattle at low-revs is one reply I had, other than that not much info. I'm afraid.

I'd be interested in all the above info mentioned earlier by 'Bruce', plus, things like,

- What do I look 4 when I get the spanners out? Wear marks? Loose bits??
- In earlier postings someone mentioned that I should check for the coloured spots. What colour are the latest?
- Should I change them just for the fact it's the 'off' season in this hemisphere and I don't know when they were last changed??

Again, any info 2 point me in the right direction when the spanners are being waved around would be useful!!

TIA

Tony
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

smeggy_smeg

Cheers Del....

Post by smeggy_smeg »

Good stuff, so, how are U modded CCT's running? All good? Are U offering them mail order???

Cheers

Tony
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Tony,

check out the post link above as I've just added some more details.

Del.