brakes wot brakes ?????

General Bike chat
twintin

brakes wot brakes ?????

Post by twintin »

Well finally got 20mins spare so decided to strip the front brakes & clean the pistons,Bloody hell what a difference the brakes actually feel fairly good, i didn't think they were as bad as they obviously were!!! I think anybody with a few minutes spare should give it a go well worth it!!! just watch your nads on the tank...........
its not rust it's character
t00lkit

Cleaning

Post by t00lkit »

Go on then, give me a non-technical rundown on how to do it and what i'll need to do the job.

Cheers
twintin

easy peasy

Post by twintin »

dead simple an not very technical, i'm sure there is a technical way but i opted for easy
tools needed
1 stiff paint brush
1 small jam jar of clean petrol
1 flat blade screw driver
1 allen key
1 spanner/socket to take the calipers off
undo the little screw cover that holds the pin that holds the pads in !!
undo the pin with the allen key and take out the pads
undo the caliper bolts so its free to move around a little
when youv'e done that you will probably see that the pistons are all filthy with grime & dust so take the brush dipped in petrol & give em a good scrub. yoy can very slowly and carefully ease them out to gain access a little further down but not too far. do this to all 4 an you should be able to get them nice an clean.dry off an as they say re-assembly is a reversal of the removal procedure. Now do the same to the other side. remember to pump the breaks a few times before you go out an bobs your uncle ,1/2 hour at tops (not including tea breaks)
hope this helps it worked for me
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

mmmm VTWIN,

I would agree with you but I would not use petrol as it could distort/expand the dust and oil seals in the caliper. Try somit like GT85 or white spirit but not petrol.

Del.
twintin

OOPS

Post by twintin »

Does that mean i've nackered me brakes then???
I did the same thing on me vfr an it seemed ok but i don't want to destroy the brakes
cheers
Mark
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

naah they should be ok but petrol is a horrible thing when it comes to rubber. GT85 is really good for cleaning stuff then I normal just apply a light oil to them before I push em back in.

Del.