Suspension Settings

General Bike chat
DD

Suspension Settings

Post by DD »

I'm trying to set up my 03 storm, and I can't get it quite right.
In a similer posting (which went a little of the topic) the following was said:

[If the rider weighs 13st or less set the rear shock pre-load at its lowest level (level 1) If he is heavier than this (up to 16st) set it at the next level. Set the Rebound at the fastestest possible return but under control.

Set fork pre-load almost all the way in - to 1 ring showing. Same for all weight of riders. Set the Rebound to the same criteria as the shock - fastest possible - - -etc ( this will be between 1/2 &3/4 turns OUT from fully IN"]

By this I take it as meaning: set the rear pre load up so as the wheel hits the under side of the guard (when sat on) and set the rebound so as it returns fastest pogoing the rider off the bike????????????

I am 13st and ride kinda fast, so this is what I have done: Preload in middle setting (as factory setting too soft) and the rebound HARDER half a turn so as to SLOW the return up (wheel won,t slid out from under when lent over)
Same as for frount expect preload left factory (4th ring down) The bike drops aprox 1in when sat on.

So what do ya all recon then? It sure was a lot easier setting up my MG1100i sport with WP sus which had compression damping aswell, much needed in my opion.
cheers Darryl
VTRoneG

Post by VTRoneG »

Preload will change is the geometri of your bike, but it will not make the suspension hard of soft unless you change the spring.

Like you're saying when you sit down on the bike, the bike drops considerably, and you can compensate this by putting more preload, but this does not make the forks harder or softer, it will be still undersprung (the FireStorm has a very soft forks), unless you change the springs. (I did).

Sometimes dropping the front is a good thing when you ride fast, since it helps the bike turn faster, but the forks still need to have enough room for the suspension to absorb any irregularities on the road (so it does not bottom out). One way to do this is to put more preload but drop the forks from the triple tree.

My weight is 15 stones, and my setting:

rear shock is at '3'
rear rebound 3/4 out from the hardest.

front preload showing 2 circles
front rebound 1 out from the hardest.
I dropped the forks 7mm from the triple clamp. (to compensate the preload)

Hope this helps.
DD

Post by DD »

Ok cheers for that as I don't have anything else to go on i'll try your settings.
But preload does make things harder/softer don't it? :? Cos if the rear shock is on the low setting then you can bounse up and down on the seat and if its on the high setting then bouncing on the seat hardly moves it :?

One other question, what changes were made to the suspenion to the series 2 VTR's over the earlyer series 1 :?:
cheers Darryl
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi DD,
Yes you will find a difference as you wind up the spring preload the suspention will start to feel harder.I'm 12 stone and my rear spring is set on the third from softest notch and the rebound is set about 1/8 of a turn clockwisefrom std. My front is showing 3 1/2 rings and as the weather is turning cold and wet I've set the rebound about 1/2 turn anti-clockwise from std.
I've found the spring settings seem to suit my riding style and as the road/weather changes I may change the rebound settings to suit.
Suspention settings are quite a personalised thing.Try a few different ones and find what suits your style. Whatever gives you the most confidence on the road is the right one.
Have fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.l
VTRoneG

Post by VTRoneG »

Here is the article about spring (& preload) from runlevelzero:

http://www.runlevelzero.net/pipermail/s ... 74276.html

The above is part 2, there is also part 1 and 3.