Top Speed through gears on a 99 storm

General Bike chat
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sorry pete youve lost me? i dont see the connection between gear ratio and air resistance?
Just throwing another parameter in the equation :lol:
If you don't get it, there's not much point continuing this

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.l
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

I have a pushbike with god knows how many gears and it requires much more effort (torque) on the pedals at any given speed in 21st gear than 1st. The problem is worse at higher speeds. I can't turn the pedals fast enough, so i need to change up a gear - otherwise I run out of revs, but that means I need more power on the pedals to overcome wind/rolling resistance etc. To increase the effort I can exert on the pedals I need to develop more power and to do that I need more oxygen/energy - as does an engine. - air and fuel for example.

At the company I used to work for (modifying engines) we used the calculation of: increase the horsepower by 100% and you get an increase of 26% in top speed. Look at the power differences between a Fireblade and Firestorm, then look at the difference in top speed. Not an exact match (aerodynamics etc), but close enough.

Bean
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Whats on at Elvington on July?
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Mr Bean wrote:I have a pushbike with god knows how many gears and it requires much more effort (torque) on the pedals at any given speed in 21st gear than 1st. The problem is worse at higher speeds. I can't turn the pedals fast enough, so i need to change up a gear - otherwise I run out of revs, but that means I need more power on the pedals to overcome wind/rolling resistance etc. To increase the effort I can exert on the pedals I need to develop more power and to do that I need more oxygen/energy - as does an engine. - air and fuel for example.

At the company I used to work for (modifying engines) we used the calculation of: increase the horsepower by 100% and you get an increase of 26% in top speed. Look at the power differences between a Fireblade and Firestorm, then look at the difference in top speed. Not an exact match (aerodynamics etc), but close enough.

Bean
Thanks Mr Bean :D
I'm glad someone was with me :wink: or should I say for this post "Was keeping up with me". Doh! Okay. I'll go sit back in the corner :oops:

Pete.l
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

FirestormMike wrote:I think its one of those days where you turn up and leather your bike down a runway to see how fast it goes... dunno how much it costs but might come and watch
Yup correct. It's run by straightliners. Fifty quid gets you as many runs down the 2 mile runway as you like. Last year I did 10 runs but could've done double. Half the way was spent removing various bits of me bike in an effort to get past the 150mph mark. :D

Random question...would silk underwear be more aerodynamic? :biggrin

It was surprising how far off claimed top speeds most bikes were. I don't think any sports 600 got into the 160's. The only bikes running more than 170 were gixxer 1000's and Busas.

Personally I reckon fifty quid (pocket money) is a snip to be able to welly your bike from a drag start right through to the top of 6th, repeatedly. It got it out of my system and tamed my speeds on the road for a while last time round, which has gotta be a good thang. I'll definitely be going again this time.[/url]
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
grinner

Post by grinner »

Sorry, had to hijack! 996; do you have to join up or is it a turn up and play kinda day?

Sounds fun getting heavy on the loud handle!
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

grinner wrote:Sorry, had to hijack! 996; do you have to join up or is it a turn up and play kinda day?

Sounds fun getting heavy on the loud handle!
No need to book/join up etc, just turn up on the day for about 9am, pay £50 and sign on. The scrutineer then checks your bike then the organiser takes you up to the top of the runway and explains all you need to know. Couldn't be easier!

There's the odd car (there was a supra and a scooby there last year) and also Project 250 from Performance bikes was there (ie Jack Frost on the Holeshot Busa). He has around 750bhp, and did 220mph on his warmup run. He'd just done a 260mph run as we were leaving at the end of the day!

Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Pete.L wrote:
Sorry pete youve lost me? i dont see the connection between gear ratio and air resistance?
Just throwing another parameter in the equation :lol:
If you don't get it, there's not much point continuing this

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.l
LOL! but still gear ratio has nothing to do with air resitance??????

Speed effects air resistance, and thus a different gear ratio would change your speed at a given rpm thus changing the gravity drag, thus in turn being effected by air resistance, pressure and a plethora of other factors???
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!