Tyre pressure monitors?

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Tyre pressure monitors?

Post by sirch345 »

Do I remember someone saying that these little tyre pressure monitors are NOT a good idea to fit on a standard rubber valve :?:

Anyone already using them?

http://www.tyrepressuremonitors.biz/index2.htm
grinner

Post by grinner »

Don't do it! They can (at speed of course) cause rapid air loss because of the additional weight on the valve. Same as leaving the 90 degree valve extensions on.
Just carry a pen gauge or similar.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Aha. They were on my last bike (they came with them fitted) so I've now found yet another excuse for my 'excursion' off at the roundabout at the excessive speed of, twenty five to thirty miles an hour!
The only thing I have heard against them is that they aren't as sensitive for bike use as we'd like but suit normal cars better (but my Caterham 7 notices a two pound change in the handling characteristics.......... but then it runs at 16psi front and 18 rear!)

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitmentguide.asp
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
tiggerii

Post by tiggerii »

Alternatively have your tyres filled with nitrogen, my front tyre pressure hasn't dropped in over a year now. The rear would of been the same if I didn't keep wearing them out!
2000 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm - SOLD
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050 - from two cylinders to three!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Tiggerii

When I lived in Chandlers Ford before the ex Mrs 'robbed' me of my house (Sycamore Avenue) nitrogen wasn't available at Parade Service Station. This is where now the area has houses I believe!

Think it is a lot more stable under heating up/cooling down circustances so no changes in pressure but didn't think it was any better or worse than air for leakage.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks guys for your replies.
I definitely won't be using them :!: I think Grinner's reply was similar to what I thought someone once said :!: (it may have been Stratman) My memory must be better than I realised :!: :wink:
tiggerii

Post by tiggerii »

LSM

It appears to be much better for leakage, something to do with nitrogen molecules being larger on something. I'm no chemical expert but I do know that since having the nitrogen done (Micheldever Tyres) my pressures have been stable. I've been so pleased with it that I've also had my XC90 and Saab Aero done and they also don't need tyre pressure maintenance anymore.
2000 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm - SOLD
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050 - from two cylinders to three!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Micheldever did a good job for me too when fitting new rears and sorting the tracking on my Lotus Esprit S3. Good outfit are MT. Took lots of time to 'get it right' with no additional costs!!!!