front end

General Bike chat
balls

front end

Post by balls »

I find the handling of my firestorm on the whole good but the front end feels a bit strange , I dont push the bike much at all but the front feels a bit like its washing out at around 40 -50 mph when cranked over :(
Simon 2

Post by Simon 2 »

Have not long had my VTR which has the most confidence inspiring front end i've had. on a bike. Turns out that it has one of those packers under the rear spring to jack it up and put more weight at the front for better turn in.

Might be worth a try, its only 4mm thick, easy to fit (apparently!) and easy to source on ebay.

Good luck
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You probably do already, but just in case, check tyre pressures regularly :!:
shaun1978

Post by shaun1978 »

I dont know if its relevent but my front end handled like a dogs dinner, turned out to be the headstock bearing needed tightening up , just a thought. plus how old is your front tyre? what condition is it in?
if its gone hard that wont help either.
balls

Post by balls »

thanks for all the advice Have a pilot sport on the front witch has about 3mill left on it before the little markers are flush with the surface.
Prefer a tyre with a bit more more tread cut in it tbo
All the best Balls :roll:
shaun1978

Post by shaun1978 »

i had pilot sprt on the front mate and i dont rate then at all, it slid all over the road and generally felt crap , youd do right to try something different
balls

Post by balls »

Any idea,s I have a almost new pilot sport rear , dont know if mixing them up is a good move :)
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Get a good deal on a new pilot sport front, sell the set on e-bay get something else?

I dunno though, theres' a lot of voodoo surrounding tyres and what's good and what isn't.

By most personal opinions though, the pilot sport doesn't go well on Storms. I can only rate BT020's good all round, BT14's great grip, shocking life span, and Avon Storms good all round, phenominal in the wet, front will slide a tiny bit if pushed hard, but nothing alarming.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
SILVER ZIPPER

Post by SILVER ZIPPER »

Bridgestone 021's trip to Mugello in the pissing rain no problem's at all.
On the way back did some good scatching road's, steady as a rock.
Over 2500 mile's on them now, still looking good,still feel great. 8)
I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY........
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Agree with Kitch and Zipper. Go for the Bridgestones. BT 020/021s or BT014s if you don't mind changing the rear twice as often as the 020s.

If you do lots of motorway miles don't use the BT014s theyll flatten in no time.

[My BT014s were getting square before I did the Matlock meet. That rounded them off again quite nicely!]
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Max

Post by Max »

I've got 021's, changed them just before going to Spain. I find them much better than 020's. Really good in the Spanish mountains rain or dry.
Max

blindmaninchains

Post by blindmaninchains »

Another recommendation for the BT-021s - very happy with them.
There's nothing nice in my head, the adult world took it all away
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi,

If it's of any use to you I'm on Metzeler Sportec M-1 front and rear, no complaints and I'm on 4th rear on the run.

Again, as Jaglifter said "if you don't mind changing rear twise as often as front"

Wife on Prilly RS125 (full power) and Mate on Gixxer 1000 have just gone onto Continental Attacks - no complaints so far there either , though I believe they may have had a poor write up for wet conditions.

Anyone else tried them?

I suppose it depends what type of riding you do most of and what your budget will run too. If you ride in 'all' weather conditions, you're going to want a totally different tyre to that if you only go out when it's dry and warm. IMO

Graeme
simon t

Post by simon t »

Put 014 on the front 021 on the rear. Helps the turn-in at the front, wears OK at the back.