Ultra quiet helmets..

General Bike chat
speedfreek

Ultra quiet helmets..

Post by speedfreek »

Anyone on here done any research into ultra-quiet helmets?
I want something that can eliminate alot of road noise so
I can listen to my MP3 system without having to blast the volume.

I've been recommended the "Shuberth Speed", but can't seem
to find any decent information on it: decible levels, etc..

8) TJ 8)
Life has a 100% mortality rate, and there ain't no cure.. LIVE IT UP! ... and yes, I'm 100% red blooded American infidel!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I have a Schuberth Concept and it's really quiet and flips up, has a clear visor and a black short one that slides up into the top of the lid. It's comfey and when the visor is clicked in (you can un-click boths side seperately for ventilation) no one bit of air gets in (or water) on ya face. Only lid that has ever kept me dry and quiet and then in the summer (or traffic) can be flipped up with one had for full ventilation, pop or a fag.

Had a few lids, worst for getting wet and cold was the Aria Rx7xx, funny that they are one of the dearest too. Think Firestorm996 got his for £200 too which is a bargain.

Del.
Jasong70

quiet

Post by Jasong70 »

I have an RF800. I love it. Nice and quiet. Too bad the VTR and D&D isn't

there are tradeoffs to quiet helmets:

1. Less venting because by nature the vents make noise
2. Thicker and heavier (usually fiberglass or heave carbon and kevlar laminates
3. Hotter (esp. in Texas)
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Yeah I tried del's and was so impressed I bought one and sold me Shoei XR800, which used to give me severe headaches, was noisy, and misted up worse than any other lid I've tried.

I'm really impressed with the Schuberth, quiet-ish (even on the VTR when the windblast hits right in the middle of the visor), convenient with the flip up, the vents again work great and it doesnt mist.

Course, I only got it because I worship Delboy and want to be like him. :whatever :biggrin :cool2
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
03suprchikn

Post by 03suprchikn »

I have a Quantom F Aria, It gets pretty noisy even if the vents are closed. It has chin, eyebrow, two vents above the visor and two more on the back of your head. Just like JASON said, the more vents the louder its going to be. I just wear ear plugs on long rides.
03suprchikn

Post by 03suprchikn »

I have a Quantom F Aria, It gets pretty noisy even if the vents are closed. It has chin, eyebrow, two vents above the visor and two more on the back of your head. Just like JASON said, the more vents the louder its going to be. I just wear ear plugs on long rides.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Firestorm996,

next it'll be hair dye, willy extension, sellin dodgy bike bits, learn how to ride - sort of, P900 (out that Trio = chocolate bar) and a cruiser. Well you made a start you had Jen.

Del.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

I have an AGV which is reasonably quiet, because of the shape and excellent hinge system, but I still wear earplugs whenever I'm on the open road.
Apart from the shape, vents and hinge system, the other factors that make for a lot of wind noise are the windshield (shape and height), and other sources of turbulence. For me, the main source is my Teknic jacket's collar! Wind spilling off this makes quite a bit of noise.
I find that I have less wind noise on the VTR than I had on my VFR, mainly because the screen is lower, so the windblast hits me in the chest instead of shoulders and helmet. However, I reckon that if I had an aftermarket screen which was the same shape but without the small lip, it would be quieter still. On my VF500, the OEM screen had a piece of black plastic beading on it, which when removed made the airflow over the screen much less turbulent, cutting down helmet buffeting and noise considerably.
Many people go the 'higher screen' route when trying to reduce windblast and noise, and often have little success, because either they redirect the wind higher up (more towards their helmet), or if they get a higher screen that forces the wind over their helmet, they end up with more turbulence *behind* the screen.
When I bought my helmet, one of the selling points was that the dealer offered to let me take it away for a test ride before buying! This was invaluable, as it felt too tight in the shop, but after a half hour or so riding it felt very good. I was also able to gauge that it was significantly quieter than my previous AGV.
Check the heights of the people who respond to your question, and what kind of screen they have - ideally, they'd be a similar height to you, with the same windscreen. Otherwise, their experience isn't very useful.
By the way - you can get combination earplugs/speakers which may do the trick if you can't find a suitably quiet helmet. Another option may be noise-cancelling headphones for your MP3 player.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

Using an XR800 at moment, lot quieter than my old GRV.
Ear plugs help to get rid of the wind roar, and a respro foggy helps with the misting. Tried a Fog-city, but no good with sunglasses on. Worked very well though.

Robb
Pipstorm

Post by Pipstorm »

I use a ROOF Diversion Le Mans and love it, light and quiet. Tried a Boxer but was v disapointed, noisy and crap opening chin guard. Would recommend the other ROOF's bought mine at the NEC last year for £175, thought it was a bit of a bargin.

Good Vents and little or no misting up so no need for a huffy or similar
and damn good looking
speedfreek

lids..

Post by speedfreek »

Thanks gang! The great advice is appreciated!!

(keep it coming!)
8) TJ 8)
Life has a 100% mortality rate, and there ain't no cure.. LIVE IT UP! ... and yes, I'm 100% red blooded American infidel!
Fluffy

PARDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Fluffy »

OGK FF3 :-) Noisy as being a wombat gunner......

If its quiet your after m8 give the OGK's a wide berth, I do like mine though as it fits well, is very light and the vents are the best I have ever had on a helmet. The visor release is pretty slick to and the visor aperture seems to be really wide giving a good fov, ideal for police state UK where its almost mandatory to cary a clear visor with you now in case of a 'nicking.

I have also got a roof boxster, its ok round town, its a really quiet lid, seems to be a trait of the roof's but as one of the other guys said the chin bar can be a bit awkward. What I like about the boxster is the ability to use it as virtually a true open face helmet for picking through heavy city traffic because you can flip the chin bar right back behind you.

Noise is not really a problem with custom earplug jobbies, they can be expensive but when mine are in I can't really feel them. Not sure about the states but I got mine from the local hospital for 13 quid complete with a daft barry sheen picture in them, they have a small 0.5mm hole drilled through them so that they still allow "just enough" external noise in, and because they are made from a mould so are flush to my ear, I can still stick my MP3 player on with the bass monsters and hear it....

Cheers

Tony
I see no Firestorm......