Engine coolant questions

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

Engine coolant questions

Post by mik_str »

Hello,

As some of you may know/recall, I am getting my VTR fit with ported and decked heads, and Yosh Stg 1 cams in the coming weeks (woohoo!!!!!) and so want to help it get rid of some of the extra heat that will surely be generated. I am thus looking at various options available to me to help address this question. The two that come to mind immediately are to replace the standard engine coolant/anti-freeze with either Engine Ice (mix of de-ionized water and propylene glycol) or a Water Wetter and water mix. Both are said to help improve the cooling system’s efficiency.

Given that I live in Montreal, Canada, protection from freezing is a factor for me (particularly in early Spring and late Fall), so I will likely go for the EI option. I was wondering, however, as the EI contains water, if I could add WW and benefit from some of the advantages (decreased surface tension and hence greater thermal conductivity) offered by WW as well (by acting on the water component). I store my bike indoors in the Winter (I don't need cold protection to -40F) so the effect on the freezing point from using WW would still leave me well within the safe zone. Before moving ahead, I just wanted to make sure the two products were not "lethally incompatible".

cheers
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Err dunno would be my considered opinion
My only thought would be to go for a more pressurised system

Try emailing Roger at Revolution direct -he is the VTR guru and has raced the Moriwaki one so should be able to help

roger@revolutionuk.co.uk
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Not familiar with those products over here, sorry Mik :oops:
I do know for the SP you can buy some fairing vents which capture more air and force it through the rads. They wont fit directly on the storm but I'll bet they could be adapted to fit whithout too much trouble.

Pete.l
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm also not familiar with those products over here in the UK.
As Ben suggested an email to Roger may be helpful. Also the Moriwaki Firestorm had some extra side panelling, I'm not absolutely sure if they were for extra cooling, worth asking Roger that as well.

Apart from that, you could try emailing the manufacturer's and asking them if their products are compatible.

Chris.
Max

Post by Max »

water wetter and stuff like it is available from demon thieves over here, it is said to break down the surface tension or some such technical stuff and improve cooling.
Max