Mini indicators .... Why?

General Bike chat
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Mini indicators .... Why?

Post by RedStormV »

Hi,

Originally posted this last night on bonerp's thread in 'Workshop', 'Which mini indicators?'

Decided it was too much of a thread hijack and was able to delete it and move it here instead.

Have thought about this one a lot recently...

(Slight Hijack here - sorry :oops: )

I know the originals are big and numb looking, and if fitting high level cans they may get in the way and have to be moved or replaced.

INDICATORS -- Surely the answer is in the name - they're there to indicate to other road users that (when they're flashing) your intention is to deviate from your current direction or road position?

So why would you want to make this more difficult for them to see :?:

OK they look dorky, big, numb, but they're big 'n' bright for a reason :!:

One of my mates has after market tiny diamond :?: shaped ones on his gixxer. Even I have difficulty seeing that he's indicating when I'm behind him (not very often behind him - LOL) and I'm already taking notice of both him and his road position. Think they're white lens and yellow/orange LEDs.

So what chance has some unrelated teenage t0sspot in a Nova / Civic or geriatric in a Daewoo Matiz got of seeing he's going to be moving out in front of them? Not bl00dy much I reckon.

We as bikers have enough trouble with 4+ wheeled vehicles not seeing us or caring about us - without making it even less obvious to them that we're there and vulnerable.

It may be that the ones fitted to his bike are cheap 'n' nasty (fitted when he got the bike BTW) and not bright enough - think they're LED ones.

Anyone know if they have to emit a certain level of light? There are certainly rules about their distance apart and height etc. I would suggest that the ones he has certainly don't.

If 'small' ones are available that emit the same bright light levels or better than original then fine, fit them and pay the extra money.

If they're a poor substitute but cheap (99p?), then fabricate a bracket to enable you to move the originals.

I don't particularly like the original ones cosmetically and would deffinitely consider replacing them with smaller ones, but only if theyre as bright or brighter. Someone on here has recenlty posted that they've replaced the stock Honda ones with those of an R1 or R6? because they look better - Great why not - look better but still as visible and bright - Good idea :idea:

I love the look of the ones I know a few members of this site have, which are flush fitting to the fairings - but again, ask myself "are these as visible to other road users as the originals?", although I suspect they're just as bright, they're not 'stuck out' in the open like the originals are.

Cosmetically 'Brilliant' Love 'em - Visually? don't know...

As for rear indicators, I've seen replacement LED stop/tail lights for Storms on e-bay which have indicators built in - i.e. half or third of LEDs flash orange at left or right hand side of tail light when indicating. Anyone seen one in action? are they any good? Could be a good answer to fitting high level pipes and / or under trays.

A lot of us, if not the majority of us ride with our headlights on dip beam (new bikes no choice!) throughout the day, rain or shine. Is this not for the simple reason as to make us more visible to other road users?

So why then make our indicators less visible?

Perhaps 'we' think, what the hell, other road users don't give a t0ss anyway so why bother :?:

All the above is of course ..... In My Opinion :!:

If nothing else, it will hopefully generate some healthy debate.

OK rant over...

I'll get me coat... while I wait for the backlash!

Graeme
LotusSevenMan

Tiny 'glimmer' LED rear indicators

Post by LotusSevenMan »

RSV

Having had the pleasure to follow a VTR set-up with a decent pair of rear LED indicators recently and we got to stop and talk. These were Motrax ones I believe with the correct relay fitted so they flashed at the correct speed. They had something like 16-18 superbright LED's fitted with clear lens and were very visible.
I have a friend with a BMW GS1150 that has some aftermarket ones fitted. They are very tricky to see and I know where to look when following him to see if they are actually on!!!!! The average 'cager' wouldn't know they were operating I'm sure.
Think it comes down to buying quality over cheapness so a set of 10.00 mini indicators off of Fleabay won't cut it in my books.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

interesting point.

not a problem I have, mine are actually as large as standard, if not bigger.

tbh though, I dont think that the lack of visibility is all that great. I mean, you could have a full on 8 foot xmas tree on there and people wouldn't notice.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Ggyddn

Post by Ggyddn »

As for rear indicators, I've seen replacement LED stop/tail lights for Storms on e-bay which have indicators built in - i.e. half or third of LEDs flash orange at left or right hand side of tail light when indicating. Anyone seen one in action? are they any good? Could be a good answer to fitting high level pipes and / or under trays.
I have these fitted and find they are a lot brighter and better than the origionals. They are a lot easyer for the car drivers to see, and not obstructed by anything, eg cans :)

As for the front I have 2 sets of Indicators, one is the mini fairing type which replaced my origional ones and the others are built into my mirrors. makes the front end look good and also means they can be seen.
One of my mates has after market tiny diamond shaped ones on his gixxer. Even I have difficulty seeing that he's indicating when I'm behind him (not very often behind him - LOL) and I'm already taking notice of both him and his road position. Think they're white lens and yellow/orange LEDs.
My freind had the same sort of thing on his bandit, indicators built into the undertray he got.. I could not see his signals so dont know how anyone else did.

So to round up I agree with you about watching which indicators you put on your storm as they are a life saver ... but i dont mean we have to put up with the ugly ones that come standard with the bike. I personaly think the bike manufators should look into changing the design to something more suiting , and pleasant to look at.

Well thats my two pence spent. :)
Dave
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I think half the problem is the width they stand out in regards to the centre line of the bike. The further out they are the more chance a car driver has of identifying which way we are going to turn.
One built into the rear light (even with the other half illuminated as the red rear light) doesn't give a lot of chance to see which way is being indicated IMHO.
The std ones might be ugly but they are at least spaced well enough apart so car drivers can differentiate direction changes as the indicators are well off the bikes centre line.

Just my thre'pence!!! :D
chaz

Post by chaz »

Graeme, couldnt agree more.
my storm came with flush rear mounts and smaller (than standard) but still pass MOT ones.
They are bright as they have big lenses, BUT there is still no indicator , brakelight, headlight big enough in the world that would stop the racers , van drivers, women in this world from pulling out infront of us.

even fit a flag the size we use at race meetings and the riders still say they didnt see it!!

in my view, compacting indicators and brake/rear light into a small under seat location may look clean but it narrows the eye perspective. spread them out wide should be safer, could never understand how the Americans got away with fitting flashing brake lights to cars , especially in bad weather
alan

Post by alan »

Heine Gericke own range of mini indicators are the brightest ive seen and i have fitted many different aftermarket ones plus there half the price.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Some very good points there :!:

The most visible light imo, that other road users do notice is a blue flashing one :wink:
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Fitted my front ones as when (not if) the bike goes over the standard ones will punch a hole in the inner fairing and possibly then bend back & trash teh main fairing
These combine with my crash bungs to keep the fairing off the road (tested)
They are bright enough and IMHO brightness of the front indicators is not an issue -after all they're not gonna pull out on front of you if they didnt see you indicating

The rears however are those fiddler diamond ones are ARE too dull
Reason for changing -same as front + high level cans
I've got some replacements but haven't yet got round to fitting them as I cant find a neat way -yet
As I'm aware of the issue, if there's any possibility I will give a hand signal as well -well either that or just not slow down for the junction :)
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Max

Post by Max »

Mine has the ones with lots of LED's and they are quite bright.

Put them on the front as well
Max

LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Sirch

I do use a blue flashing light!!!!!!!!!!

OK only for the alarm at the rear (and one in the instrument binnacle at the front too) but a cluster could be mounted to the front fairing......... ummm I feel a plan coming on here ha ha

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LSM,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now you're talking :!: Excellent 8)
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

There was a bike at Squires this afternoon, think it was a Gixxer - new one not too sure now, Bob might be able to confirm.

Indicator Mirrors had additional 'blueish/white' strobes fitted, which flashed in what could only be described as a 'potentially naughty configuration'! 8O

Put it this way, if he came up behind you and hit the switch your ar5e cheeks would nip and you'd certainly slow down if not pull over and stop! :? Probably hit the anchors so hard a good 'stoppie' would ensue!

Hopefully the switch is well hidden / camoflaged, cos I'm sure plod would give a very nasty slap of the wrists was he caught with 'em! :oops:

Graeme