Electrical gremlins??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Simon 2

Electrical gremlins??

Post by Simon 2 »

Riding along today and the rev counter stopped working, then the trip meter then the speedo. About maybe 2 mins later the bike cut out-completely dead (bit dangerous as I was in fast lane of M25 at the time!)
Connected up the jump leads to kind passerby and she fires up again straight away and everything worked for about 10 mins then start to lose instruments again in the same sequence. Bike starts to misfire and dies.
Repeated this process 3 times to get me home (about 35 miles).
Had a similar problem once before with battery being completely flat after a 20 mile ride although instrumentation was fine. Presume it could be naff battery and supermarket fuel combo but not convinced.
Could it be the infamous R/R problem or would the problem not 'come and go' as it did today?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, bike also has meta alarm and is always placed on a trickle charger between rides.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Simon,
I would check voltage output at the battery terminals when the engine is running with a multi-meter. You should be getting around 14 volts when it's charging. If you're getting well above that I would suspect the R/R to be faulty :!:

Chris.