R/R modification

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Simon 2

R/R modification

Post by Simon 2 »

I have just carried out the R/R modification but have a couple of questions for anybody in the know.
1. I didn't cut off the original connector but simply made up 5no 3" lengths of cable, with a male and female connector at each end, which I've used to plug into the end of the original loom connector. However, I could only get 27 amp cable-will this be okay (both ends soldered of course)?
2. I started her up, having recharged the battery, and even though it was only on tick over, the R/R was hot to the touch after a couple of minutes-is this normal?
3. I bought a multimeter from Aldi to check the voltage once running but don't know how to use it! Is there an idiots guide on how to carry this out?
4. Also how can I check if the battery is holding the charge and hasn't been knackered by the old R/R antics? Again an idiots guide for a 10 year old would be preferable please.

Many thanks to anybody with some/all the answers.
derryUK

Post by derryUK »

Simon,

1) ok
2) Dunno I have never felt mine (I still have the standard RR) but I would expect them to get warm.
3) Switch the meter to read DC volts on a suitable range ie 0-25 volts. Then put the red probe on the +ve battery terminal and the black on the neg .... etc. With the ignition off you should see about 12.5 volts on your meter. Start the bike and the voltage on your meter should now read between 13.5 - 15 volts.
4) By checking your battery voltage. Leave it overnight and then measure the battery voltage. If it is below 12 volts it looks like a duff battery.

Hope this hekps.

Derry.
Simon 2

Post by Simon 2 »

Derry, thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated.
Simon 2

R/R modification

Post by Simon 2 »

Hi again, have attached multimeter after completing mods and got the following readings;

12.8 volts with ignition off
12.6 volts with ignition on
12.55 volts with engine on tickover and choke
12.58 when revved.

I'm no Einstein but surely this aint right! i've checked the new R/R connections and all seems to be as it should. Does this mean a knackered battery or something more.
The bike has a Meta alarm/immobiliser as well but was inactive during the testing.