Battery condition

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Simon 2

Battery condition

Post by Simon 2 »

Having changed my R/R for a R6 unit I have attached multimeter and got the following readings;

12.8 volts with ignition off
12.6 volts with ignition on
12.55 volts with engine on tickover and choke
12.58 when revved.

I'm no Einstein but surely this aint right! i've checked the new R/R connections and all seems to be as it should. Does this mean a knackered battery or something more.
The bike has a Meta alarm/immobiliser as well but was inactive during the testing.

Would appreciate any advise, thanx
Max

Post by Max »

I am no lectrical person, but if your reg/rec is OK then it would suggest to me that the generator isn't generating. check the connections to it. the coils in the generator do breakdown it happened on my nc30.
Max

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Simon,
If you replaced the rectifier because the old standard one had failed, it could be your battery or alternator got taken with it, or even both :!:

If you follow the wiring harness up from the alternator until you find the block terminal connector under the seat (it's between the petrol tank and the battery box with a load of other's), then pull it apart and check for continuity (with your multi-meter) between each yellow wire in turn (from the alternator) to earth (bike frame or engine etc).

You should NOT get continuity from any of the yellow wires to earth, if you do then your alternator is faulty :!:

Chris.
Simon 2

Post by Simon 2 »

Thanks guys, ill check it over the weekend and let you know