General Bike chat
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Dont go breaking this one now :wink:
Rich.

Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

No chance there soop m8, I'd start a pool if i were you nearest day/month wins.. :lol: :lol: joking aside lets hope this one stays upright!.

Ok so I lied. i couldn't just sit here , sun shining, so i took a chance and had a quick blast into town.[I have to keep my speed at 80 officer to stop her overheating!]. as soon as i park up ...PHUNNT TSSSSSSSSSS.! the hose fell off. :roll: coolant everywhere. oh well. went to a local hardware store. and bought a jubilee clip..a 19mm socket [for the crash bung]. a Tbar for the socket. and a long flat bladed screwdriver, to get at the jubilee clip. so at the side of the road in town i take off all the panels on the left handside only to discover that i need to lift the Tank to get behind the frame to get at the damn pump :evil: and..... i dont have a ratchet in my tool kit. bollox. so i reassemble the bike. check the Temp. 72deg. and decide to ride the three hundred yards to the tesco garage and put some water in her. got there and the thing was red-hot. 137deg c on the gauge. I was bricking it, convinced another ten yards would sieze her. I went into the forecourt shop to ask if they sold tools .they didn't but tthe nice lady pointed me to a local service garage a hundred yards up the road. topped up with water the best i could. and got the place steaming away like the flying scotsman, 8) The bemused owner asked how he could help .and lent me thhe use of a socket set. so it took me 30 mins to strip locate and fix the hose, which is noe secured in place with a shiney new jubilee clip. filled up with water ,let her run a bit NO Leaks, gave the dude a Fiver for a pint as thanks .and she held 66 deg c all the way home...SWEEEEEEEEEET :wink:
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
dunk4230

Post by dunk4230 »

Am i missing something what happened to the ZX9

err edit its ok mate i had a look back and saw what happened i think we should make a club of crash test dummies founding members glad your ok though
Ill Sleep When I Die
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Nice write up Marty.
I don't know if this is any help or hinderance but the SP normally sits at about 78-80C and when around town bumps up to 104C and then the fans kick in and pull it back down to the mid 90s.
It might be a good idea to find out what the normal running temp is now you've got your hose fixed just to make sure everything is ok.

Pete.l
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

it gets a little warm in town pete, 84deg then the fans kick in, the radiator is still topped up.not spotted any leaks. Ill need to get antifreeze mixed as it's only water thats in her just now.on the open road it'll hold 66-68 deg, so well within parameters :wink:
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
Max

Post by Max »

My Benelli with the under seat rad is a bit hot as well, It used to do some right strange things then I tried some water wetter in the coolant and it steadied every thing down. 85 normally and 95 when the fans kick in and holds it there. it only took 100 mls in the 3 litres. I have put some in the storm but it may have been a mistake as she runs noticeably cooler now and I'm not sure she likes it.
Max