Racing /road legal cans

General Bike chat
tattie

Racing /road legal cans

Post by tattie »

Can anybody tell me if there are any firms that will take your (racing ) cans and possibly fit a removable baffle to create a road legal silencer?

I noticed in MCN 2 weeks ago that Blueflame are no longer selling racing cans and are producing only road legal cans.
The article said that the(road legal ) range will be identical to it's previous offerings. So to that effect I wrote to them asking if they will be offering a service to replace the outlet of racing cans to enable owners of their products to convert them to road legal status.

Mind you I wrote to them in April of this year regarding the fitting of their products and I still await a reply. :?

I posted a message on the MCN Storm site but everybody must be hibernating over there.

cheers :wink:

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Hi Tattie,

There is a place near Cadwell that sells "decibel killers that are an insert for end cans the reduce the noise. When I get the chance I will try and find the website and pos it here.

Ian.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
bunnybouy

Post by bunnybouy »

hehe,
i think i need some of those :lol:
mine are a bit loud. i think its only a matter of time before i get pulled over :twisted:

jay
tattie

Baffles

Post by tattie »

:) The decibel killers are made by performance racing parts, I have pictures and info on them. I also bought a pair of quiet baffles from wolfracing, but what I did not know, was that they have to be fitted to the inlet end of the can. I had enough hassle getting the high level Blueflames to fit right the last time without pulling them off every time I want to quiten them down a bit. Also the wolf baffles( if I have done my sums right) have a smaller opening area than the standard can end, fair enough the Blueflames have no baffles so to speak but the increase in backpressure they might cause when fitted was causing some concern.

I wonder if I will get a reply from Blueflame?

Thanks Iggy

Cheers A.M.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Well, this is a timely posting. :)
When I bought my 'Storm, it had been 'bafflectomied', and was WAAYY loud (sorry, Oroficer - it weren't my fault, honest!) So, first I tried talking to some exhaust shops to see what they could come up with, but they were pillox. So I bought some 57mm perforated core, and riveted that in the ends of the cans, which made them just LOUD instead of OBNOXIOUSLY loud. But when I took them to a testing station for its WOF test (same as MOT in the UK?), the guy there said they wuz too loud, and had obviously been mucked around with. Really? :?:
So, what I did was went to a motorcycle exhaust manufacturer / repairer, and he was no help, so I drew up my own plans, which are basically some 57mm pipe with 32mm pipe inside it, kinda like the 'spuds' Staintune in Oz use to quieten down their mufflers. Only picked them up today, so they're not in yet, but they cost less ($NZ61) than the $120-$300 the mobike muffler place quoted to cut mine apart and rebuild them, and WAY less than the $990 quoted for some road-legal Scorpions.
Stay tuned - I'll let you know how they go....
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
pete7

Post by pete7 »

How about trying a set of these inserts from Wolf Racing in UK. They say they will fit any 52mm can. Mine are installed at the front of the can as apposed to the removeable baffle at the back end of the can.

Have a set of there exhausts at the moment with the inserts but unfortately haven't had time to try them yet.

Pete

http://www.wolfracing.co.uk/road_legal.html
tattie

pete7

Post by tattie »

If you look at the size of the holes in the wolf racing baffles don't you think that the volume of gasses that would pass through them would be even less than the standard end can opening, hence my worries on the increased back pressure (will this restrict? stifle the power of the bike or could it cause damage ?)

Are your cans Racing or Road legal?

Cheers

A.M.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

OK - I installed the 'spuds' last night, and this morning the bike is very quiet, probably as quiet as stock. No problem - I'll just whip 'em out again, and cut off some of the central pipe.
Performance? Slight (but noticeable) flat spot around 3.5 - 4K rpm, otherwise OK. My performance? Made me relaxed and sensible, so I rode like a weener all the way to work. Absolutely amazing the difference the way the bike sounded on how I rode it....
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.