Insurance and 'less than legal' cans

General Bike chat
jstring

Insurance and 'less than legal' cans

Post by jstring »

I purchased a rather neglected VTR a few weeks ago and have been restoring it eversince. Now that all of the new parts have arrived and bits have returned from the chrome plater's, I am finaly starting to reassemble the whole thing.

Among the many boxes of disassembled parts now in my garage are a set of Scorpion race cans which sound awesome. I also have the original cans. Which brings me to my question. If I re-fit the Scorpions, how will it affect my insurance premium? Will I be able to get insurance? I realise that not declaring such a modification could affect future claims or leave me technically un-insured so this is not really an option for me but are some companies more uderstanding than others? They sound sooooo good that I really want to re-fit them. I have noticed that loads of you have after market cans. how have you dealt with this sticky subject?

This is my first post so I hope it works. Many thanks to all of you who have contributed to the site, I have found all technical info really useful over the last few weeks.

Kind Regards,

Jason (race-can virgin)
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I know a lot of people just keep thier leagal can in the shed and put them back on if the unfortunate accident happens.

If not for road use is written on the pop rivet strap you can get plain straps, or take the strap off and turn it over.
simon t

Post by simon t »

Why not ring a few insurers and see what they say. My guess is unless the mod is a contributory factor to an accident they'll cough up. Any bike insurer who won't cover bikes with loud cans is going to lose a lot of business...
sirch345
Site Admin

ins and race cans

Post by sirch345 »

Yeah you're right Scorpion's do sound great, i've got them on mine. As far as insurance goes some companies don't like them and others don't mind, i'm with Carole Nash and it was not a problem,
cheers Chris.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Why dya think the insurer asks if it's modified when you get your quote.....

if you lie and say no, if it comes to a crash, they will have every right to refuse cover, as you have blatantly lied to get cover........

if you tell them they'll prolly jack up the cover as it's an engine modification.......
nobbyk

Cans

Post by nobbyk »

If the cans are marked 'Legal' then it will make no difference to insurance as is is not seen as a modification. I have high level Remus Tits on mine (legal) they sound good enough and save a lot of hassle!

However a race set would be nice too!! :lol:

Regards

Nobby
Remember, never put off till t'moz what you can do today. If you do it today, you can do it again t'moz!! Just a thought!
nobbyk

Cans

Post by nobbyk »

In fact I have a picture of my cans on the show off page!

nobby
Remember, never put off till t'moz what you can do today. If you do it today, you can do it again t'moz!! Just a thought!
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Erm. hate to tell ya this bud, but dont matter if they're legal or not, still considered as a modification to the engine.

(i work in a Claims Deptartment)

Any non standard part is a mod, and strictly speaking, if you dont want to tempt grief, you should do the honest thing and declare it all.......

However, in the real world, if the worst case happens, if it aint too obvious, an inspecting engineer wont realise anyhoo........(cans are considered as obvious)

Hope this clarifies this for ya.....
jstring

Post by jstring »

Thanks everyone. It's nice to know that insurance companies won't just refuse to cover someone who declares the use of a race can. It is also good to know that Carole Nash are OK with this, as I have had insurance with them for years.

When I am getting close to having the thing back together, I will ring around several companies and get some quotes with and without the Scorpions and report back.
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

My storms heavily modified so I thought I would tell the insurance company. Funnily enough they had no probs with any of the mods but charged an extra £30 because of the Dream machine paint job (Makes it more nickable apparently) The company was Hastings Direct if your going to try a few companies they may be worth considering
All the best
Phil
nobbyk

Cans

Post by nobbyk »

Thanks for the info essexbloke. I read earlier this year in one of the mags that a legally stamped can is not a mod! I'd love to challenge that bloody mag if I knew which soding one it was! 8O

Regards

Nobb
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I've got road legal Remus tits on mine (!) so told the insurance company (CIA).
They decided to charge me £15, the robbin' bar-stewards, despite me pointing out that that they are actually CHEAPER to replace than the standard ones.

However, the following years renewal came through with no mention of them on so I phoned up and they just added them on at no extra cost

Inconsistent or what? Still, they're nearly £100 cheaper than anywhere else so I'm not too bothered

Ben