Too Many Odds Stacked Against Us

General Bike chat
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Pete.L wrote:Ya Gotta do What ya gotta do Mark.

Drop in and will let you know what your missing :wink:

P.S My older Bro has given up biking twice Now.(once with each Kid) and guess what 8O
He keeps coming back :lol:

Pete.l
Ha! :D Hate to say I told you so but.....I told you so! :lol:
Nice to have you back in the fold Mark. Once biking is in you blood it never leaves ya! 8)

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

You're suffering from Grasshopper-itis. Affects those of us of a certain age.

Wanna do this, then that, then back to this.

Lucky it doesn't affect a bit of the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
SILVER ZIPPER

Post by SILVER ZIPPER »

Wellcome back, :D thier's no one that can leave the brotherhood of biking, it's allway's in your blood.When your without a bike your allway's thinking about having one, every time one passes you in the car you pine and think you could ride better :roll:
I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY........
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire »

SILVTR wrote:Hi All.

Don't know whether to shuffle back with tail between legs or with a fanfare . . .

Mark
Wasn't on here before...but its got to be a fanfare if you ask me...Welcome Back :D

I too took a few years out due to mortgage, kids etc and I am in a lucky position to have a company c*r so the need to commute was removed.
I ride just for pleasure now...I tried without and the itch just doesn't go away..
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Ultimately it has to be your choice, but for me, I've been on the unpleasant end of a potentially fatal bike crash and I won't be giving up riding.

I know that it's dangerous, but I love doing it, so sod it, I will.

I could get squished by a Volvo mounting the pavement and plowing through a bus stop tomorrow.

All those close to me know I love riding bikes and while they may not understand it, they respect that if the worst should happen, at least I've enjoyed myself and not compromised something I love so much.

Is that selfish? I dont think so. I look at families and stuff as reasons to enjoy life and come home to them.

I just think of this happening:

Clicky (not for faint hearted)

Then I go out and ride.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Welcome back matey,

Now as was said int he original thread GET SOME ADVANCED TRAINING

It is a real eye opener to a whole new way of riding that is NOT dull, boring or slow but should massively increase your ability and safety

Ben
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Welcome back to biking, I think we probably all go through a stage of "giving up" and coming back. I gave up 6 years ago after seeing a young mum get killed after being thrown off the pillion and under a truck a week before Xmas for no good reason. Even though I am used to attending "fatal's" It's different when it happens in front of you. But 5 months ago I bought a Storm and so far so good, I love it, the wife loves it and now I wonder why I gave it up so welcome back, ride safe and enjoy.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

I hope I never gave the impression that I was averse to training?

I also hope I never gave the impression that I was a gimp out of my depth on a sporty bike.

I qualified as riding instructor myself in 1994 with Dublin County Council.

I've owned an FJ1200 for 40,000 miles, commuting, touring & scratching. I could lift (albeit tentatively) the front wheel of my VTR. The incident that gave rise to my original "I'm quitting" post was avoided solely because of my own observation and subsequent avoidance action.

I'll definitely need some "born-again" type training, but I think it'll be more important to temper my riding as I become more & more familiar with a new bike, traffic, and roads generally.

I fully realise the importance of training and I will get some and have priced same already, but will any training I do change the driving standards and behaviours and attitudes of all the other muppets using the same roads?

It'll hopefully equip me with better bike control, observation skills and road- & situation-reading skills. And mated with luck and some tempered riding, that might just be enough to keep me out of the muppet's paths. And hopefully it'll give me a nice fat insurance discount!

And if I manage to get a GS, my sightline will be a big advantage.

Mark
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

FirestormMike wrote:...
"Mr Hairy" and "The Wet Nosed One" eh?

Funny, that's what Vicki calls me too

:D :D :D :D :D
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Im also a born again at 35 yrs and yes, some days (two kids at home) I get home and think shi*, why did you ride home like that for? But then I think hell, thats why I got back to riding in the first place and would not miss it for the world.
Hope this reads like I want it too.
Good on yer mate.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Welcome back horse! Now there are even more idiotic cage-drivin' bastids to dodge in Ireland than ever before! But once biking is in your system it will never leave, no matter how much you tell yourself!

best of the luck and drive safe.