1990 Honda VFR750....ridden one??

General Biker Banter
VeetyR

1990 Honda VFR750....ridden one??

Post by VeetyR »

I did today and all i can say is WOW.

Who woulda thought a nigh on 18y old bike would feel so good.

I have read loads about these bikes but never sampled one until today and i was well impressed......i didnt think they made bikes that handled like that back then, so neutral. it was fantastic.

And that hollow, raspy v4 engine is a real peach too.

I got off it and thought "how am i gonna get me one of these". :lol:

anyone else tried one??

john'o
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

yup, ridden my mates a lot! soooooooooo comfy compaired to the storm its actually a joke and really not that bad once you wind it on!

I love the way the seat goes round the tank, makes my knees cosey! Also i found the fairing offered loads of wind protection!

bad points are they get rusty quickly, good points are the engines are bullet proof, i think my friends is around 130,000 on the clock and still going!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

i agree, it was well comfy and got a wriggle on when i wanted it to.

Its almost like the bike cossets you, like u are sitting in it as opposed to on it if that makes sense :lol:
Squiffythewombat

VeetyR wrote:i agree, it was well comfy and got a wriggle on when i wanted it to.

Its almost like the bike cossets you, like u are sitting in it as opposed to on it if that makes sense :lol:
yeah totally, its one of the most comfy bikes ive ridden, much nicer than any pan or toff like that! If i was doing lots of couriering or touring i would definatly be getting one!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Squiffythewombat

and you really are on here 24/7 arnt you LOL! :D
Squiffy_The_Wombat

patty

Post by patty »

yep ive had a couple,,

a 1990 on a g plate,sold that with 50,000 miles on the clock ,and it still sounded sweet,

i had another 2 yrs ago,
a 1991 on a j plate, which i swapped for my zzr1100 which i had at the time,rode all the way up the m40 and did the deal in a service station...

this thing looked like it just came out of the showroom,it was mint!!!
did the deal there and there,
sold it in the end to my mate ,who didnt keep it that long -he sold it privatly for £1300,BARGAIN.
they are really good bikes ,had no bother with either of mine.
and they sound super with race cans on.
had a yoshi on my g plate, and a staintune on my j plate....
if you ever get the chance to ask someone whos got a later vfr750/800 with staintunes on ask them to fire it up....
waaahhhooyyyyyy!!!!!!!
there aussie made,
dont know weather they make them for the storm??
trust me they sound brill
they dont seem to go wrong much either(well my 2 didnt)
gear driven cams ,engines that just go on and on.

and for a bike that is now 17 yrs old,(single sider) i dont think it looks that bad even today,and when it came out in 90 on the single sider ,i bet people went mad for it,( i know i would have)

pat
yellow all the way...
who needs 4 cylinders when 2 are this good!!

storm no more...rsv power now.
(along with 85cc of honda finest)
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Got a 88 viffer myself pre single sided swing arm model 30000 on the clock go like a dream can leave some more modern stuff behind :twisted:
as long as its been ridden by a gimp :D
lol plenty of them about you know the ones bike comes out in June and is sold by September :P :P

Storms for playing the viffers for the miles

Apology’s to gimps
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

Squiffythewombat wrote:and you really are on here 24/7 arnt you LOL! :D
yes i am :cry: :lol:
yanto

Post by yanto »

when i worked for sutton motercycles i had to test a vtec one now thats a nice ridei think i have ridden just about every suzuki honda kawasaki over the last 6 years and the vfr is one of the best all rounder
the top machanic there has one in the rutter red and white
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

FirestormMike wrote:Dear me, this thread is a sign that you're all getting old. :lol: :lol: :P

speak for yourself matey, i is only 28!!!

now wheres my pipe, slippers and classic bike magazine? :lol:
Captain Shapeless

Post by Captain Shapeless »

Just to spoil the general wonderfulness going on here...

I know VFRs are lovely bikes, but is it true that most owners try to change the subject if you mention servicing costs (i.e. they're flippin' astronomical)? And is it also true that even though they're usually reliable, when they do go wrong you need a second mortgage to afford the garage bills?
Black VTR + loud pipes = big grin + many car alarms set off
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Classic Bike is a good mag. - don't knock it.

Never ridden a VFR but did ride my sons ZZR1100D the other day. 1993 vintage and very underated IMO. Paid £1600 and it'll do 170mph (not with me on it!!).

But it doesn't have the V twin charisma thing 8)

[Now on my third bottle of Hoegaarden, so don't expect this to make sense]
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Bonart

Post by Bonart »

Yeah I've ridden one of the old 750's before the 800 came along as my friend still has his with only 6000 miles from new and have to agree it has one of the sweetest engines out there, although I did find it a bit too armchairish for me. If I was gonna go on some serious mile munching trip it would be the bike for me.
Captain Shapeless

Post by Captain Shapeless »

Jaglifter wrote:Classic Bike is a good mag. - don't knock it.

Never ridden a VFR but did ride my sons ZZR1100D the other day. 1993 vintage and very underated IMO. Paid £1600 and it'll do 170mph (not with me on it!!).

But it doesn't have the V twin charisma thing 8)

[Now on my third bottle of Hoegaarden, so don't expect this to make sense]
I had two ZZR11s before the Storm - a C (that got nicked - may the thief be nailed to the floor and p*ssed on for all eternity) and a D2, I think it was, purple and orange (yum!), converted to full power (ZXR9 carb tops, to allow the sliders to move more freely), 145bhp so they claimed, 20 up from the standard 125bp. It was flipping fast, I know that much, and saw 160mph on the clock (on a private road, obviously...), with another 1,500 rpm to go the red line, so I think the quoted top speed of around 175mph was realistic . Fantastic tourer, 50 mpg at a steady 80 mph (so 250 motorway miles on a tank was a regular occurence), huge fairing, comfy for hours on end, over 100mph in second gear! On the downside, it consumed rear tyres, chains, cush drives and front pads like they were going out of fashion. However, as Jaglifter pointed out, you can get one cheap, and the engine is bullet proof.

But I still love my Storm :D
Black VTR + loud pipes = big grin + many car alarms set off
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

I liked the ZZR1100 I rode. (2003 model, was that a 1200?) That didn't half shift but was so comfy and balanced for such a huge bike it was one of those sneaky ones where you'd be doing silly speed without realising.

Had a Blade to play with on the same day and the big Z didn't feel any less quick.

I felt the 2001 VFR 800 a mate has was a little bit uninspiring. I guess thats a great quality in a tourer and it was unflappably capable, just felt a bit dull. I dunno, maybe it was the mood I was in at the time but I would have liked it to have a little bit more bite to it. I hear the earlier 750 and later VTEC are quite different though.