'Storm reluctant to start, esp. in cold weather

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mad Ax

'Storm reluctant to start, esp. in cold weather

Post by Mad Ax »

I've noticed my Storm is always a bit reluctant to start when it's cold. The colder the air, the worse it is for starting.

Firstly the choke won't stay open - it has to be held open. Getting the right amount of choke to start without huge backfires can be tricky this way.

Secondly, it has a tendency to kick back. Is this normal for big twins, or has someone been playing with the ignition advance on my bike..?

Thirdly, my battery may simply be on the way out - if I don't touch the bike for a week it's always a bit grumpy. This morning (the coldest morning I've ridden it so far) it refused to start, eventually flattened the battery. Fortunately I live on a steep hill so was able to bump-start it, upon which it ran fine (apart from two misfires about 10 minutes into my journey).

Is this normal?

:)
"Years of delivering pizzas has taught him to drive like this"
--Sheriff John Bunnell, ret'd
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: 'Storm reluctant to start, esp. in cold weather

Post by cupasoop »

Mad Ax wrote:Firstly the choke won't stay open - it has to be held open.
Pull back the rubber cover behind the knob and tighten the plastic nut behind it. That's that bit sorted.
Rich.

cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Grow up :wink:
Rich.

storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

I find the best way to start up is to press the starter while gradually pulling the choke out, that way you find the best position. To check battery put a voltmeter across the batt terminals while pressing the starter if the volts dip below 9v it's probably knackered. If it is knackered get bike started and check volts while it's running bring the revs up to 5k volts should NOT go above 15v if it does Reg/Rec is knackered. Replace that before the battery otherwise you will kill another battery. Storms do tend to spit back and sometimes cut out when slowing down and revs fall to tickover. Cure raise tickover to 13-1400.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Mad Ax

Post by Mad Ax »

Aah. Once again, all problems diagnosed within 4 replies (1 reply going "fnur fnur" at the word rubber and 1 reply telling the poster to grow up)

I like this place.

:)
"Years of delivering pizzas has taught him to drive like this"
--Sheriff John Bunnell, ret'd
Bonart

Post by Bonart »

storminateacup wrote:I find the best way to start up is to press the starter while gradually pulling the choke out
Agree with storminateacup there. I used to have the same probs and flattened my battery but using the above method since last winter has worked well.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

An optimate type batery charger will make no end of difference.
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

Fireman on a Storm wrote:An optimate type batery charger will make no end of difference.
Totally agree, I think an optimate is probably the best accessory I've ever bought for a motorcycle.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Yep optimate is the way fwd, the old bandit was a pig unless you rode it every day and the storm likes to be juiced up if left for a week or so.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I always leave the choke in and press the starter for a few secs, then pull the choke out a bit, press starter at same time till she fires then fiddle with choke for best position.

On the TDM, with injection, you just hit the starter and thats that, but it isn't "character" :lol:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good tip about choke not staying in position, thanks.
I find that if I pull choke fully out, then release it as I start cranking and leave throttle shut it starts even when really cold.
If I open the throttle at all while cranking it won't start for around half a minute, them backfires like you wouldn't believe.
Doesn't seem to need choke on at all to warm up, but is set to run rich with straight-through carbon cans on, so maybe that helps...

Do they all crank really slowly from cold?
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

I find, full choke and don't touch the throttle. Mine starts first time every time. I had mine dynojetted, carbs balanced and i use it every day which i think makes a hell of a difference to any bike.
Having been riding through the winters for years now i think that daily use is the answer. I have never bought one of those thingmyjig doofers that do your battery with a wee boost.
Get oot there and ride your bikes all year round, not only does it keep your peepers honed in but it keeps your bike movin'.

I'll get my jacket now.

:D
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

Im gonna put the touch o death on ur bike bob!

Or at least, "touch of dodgy starter"

oh btw sent ye a wee pm
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

Try as you might young man, mine started first press o starter this afternoon with new Yoshimura's fitted.
So there!
:D