Tires

General Bike chat
vtrick

Tires

Post by vtrick »

Another tire question.

Anyone here using Michlin Pilot Roads on their VTR. I'm usung pilots sports, right now. But i'm planning on a couple long trips. Involving quite a few miles of straights. The pilots sports wont stand up to that for very long. Any feed back would be appeciated
vtrick

tires

Post by vtrick »

ANYBODY???
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Vtrick
Try a couple of bridgestones. 010 on the front (sports) and 020 rear (sports touring). The rear is a duel compound tyre and stands up to motorway traveling quite well and having the sports front gives that little bit extra confidence on the tight and twisties :twisted:

Pete.l
vtrick

010's

Post by vtrick »

I've have 010's before, i found the the front scalloped badly, when riding hard. I was planning on the same Idea, but with pilot sports up front, and roads on the back. I've been threw two full sets, of pilots, and I havent witnessed any scalloping on the front at all.
Thanks.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds good to me. :lol:
What sort of mileage do you get from the front pilot?. I like the idea of a little more even wear as the tyre gets older.

Pete.l
vtrick

Tires

Post by vtrick »

I usually Approx.. 6000-7000 kms per front. They dosn't seem to wear unevenly, on the front. DO you Find your 010's Scallop, when your riding hard. Pilot sports are awesome tires. But they suck for commuting or a long staight road trip. Great track day tires too.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Hmm,
We maybe having a terminology problem here. You said
I usually Approx.. 6000-7000 kms per front.
Then you said
DO you Find your 010's Scallop, when your riding hard.
The mileage/Klicks sounds not too bad. I take it your not from Bristol. Where abouts are you based?
If by scalloping you mean the tyre wears unevenly and by the time it's ready to be replaced you have plenty of tread left in the middle (front tyre) and the edges have worn away then yes
If you mean when taking the bike out on a good rant you can damage the tyre in one good session cause bits of rubber are being ripped out of it then no (well maybe on a track day :twisted: )
vtrick

kms.

Post by vtrick »

Sorry Pete. hehe. I'm a colonial, from Canada :D .

I thought you, were talkin about the pilot sports. I ususally do get 6000-7000 kms per front pilot sport. 1 front usually per two back. Depending on the riding. But with the 010's they Scalloped so badly that i had to replace it at 3500 kms. It was so bad that it was causing the bike to shimmy up front. I've had two sets of pilot sports, and they havent done that. I was just wondering if anyone tryed the sport / road combo. And was there any real increase in rear tire mileage. TO warrent the slower handling of the roads. if not I'll just go with the sports.

Oh sorry again by scalloping I mean.

If by scalloping you mean the tyre wears unevenly and by the time it's ready to be replaced you have plenty of tread left in the middle (front tyre) and the edges have worn away then yes
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

I think we're on the same page now.
I've spoken to a few tyre fitters over time and they all agree there's nothing wrong with fitting a sports front and a sports/touring tyre rear. All said to stick with the same make front and rear if you do this and it will reduce flat spotting the rear compaired to running a sports rear on normal roads.
And lets face it,they're not cheep.So if your going to be doing a lot of Motorway mileage(opps :P Highway kilometers :P) You dont need really sticky tyres which are going to be wasted in a straight line.

Pete.l
Neophyte

good mileage

Post by Neophyte »

Hello here from sunny South Africa! (very cloudy and rainy the last 4 days :( )

I bought my 'Storm on 17 September 2003 with a Michelin Macadam 100X at the front and a Bridgestone 020 at the rear. I stay 48km from work and of that about 40km is highway. My average speed off the highway is about 60-80 km/h. During peak hour I do up to about 100km/h on the highway but would usually cruise between 120km/h and 140km/h depending on conditions. Our highway speed limit is actualy only 120km/h. To be honest I don't even know how to wheelie. Call me a wuss but I won't even try. I also don't do track days as the bike is mainly used for commuting.

In any case, I still have these tires on and I'v already done about 8000km on them. My fuel consumption is in the region of 14.5 km / liter. The tires actually still look quite good and I reckon they're good for another 6000 to 8000km.

My 400 VFR had Bridgestone 054's on. I didn't replace the front once in the 30000km I had the bike BUT it was seriously due for replacement when I sold it. The rear I replaced after 10000km and did 20000 on the new one. Believe it or not but I reckon it was good for another 10000km!

This I can only attribute to my riding style and no, I'm not a slow-couch sissy boy.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Neophyte.
Sounds like you,ve found the right tyres for your style of riding. :lol:
My big bro's running Macadems on his cbr600(He's family so no accounting for taste :oops: ) He loves the mileage he's getting from them(cheep scate :twisted: ) But he does keep complaining about scarey,unperdictable moments when he's starting to push it. I just tell him I don't believe him cause I can't see well enough in my rear view mirrors to know if he's telling the truth :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.l
vtrick

020's

Post by vtrick »

Well last summer, there was a guy on a sv650 running 020's at track day. And he was bloody quick. He say he had no problems the back. I beleive I will try the pilot sport - Road combo. I really don't want to waste a rear sport on straight riding. Which is all that will happen. I'll report back my finding. But that won't be until april - May because, we are buried in snow, at the moment :cry: .
Thanks for all the imput Guys.

P.S. Are we gonna get a new, VTR soon. ( I hope so.)
Tony_tbone

Post by Tony_tbone »

I just got a a pair of Metzler Sportec M-1's on my VTR and I love em. They're sticky and I was told by a friend that has had two pairs on his GSXR, which he rides everyday, that they wear well and best of all they are much cheaper than Michelins and Dunlops. woohoo!

Here is a link to what I bought (don't think they sell to the UK (but who knows)) but you can at least see what exactly I'm talking about
http://www.kneedraggers.com/index.php?partno=41-METZM12
'98 VTR1000F - Superhawk 996
Dallas, TX
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Tbone
Yep. We get em :D
Just wish they were at your prices :cry:

Pete.l
Exchange rates is about $1.75 to the £1.00
I,ll be back over next month to spend my x-mas bonus :wink:
Swifty

Post by Swifty »

Hey...I've got Pilots on the front and rear and from what I remember:
When I bought the bike back 2 years ago they were on. The guy raced the bike all over the place he said and the tires really didn't look all that bad, but kind of worn. After I bought the bike I had to replace them after about 2k miles. Now they have 1300 miles on 'em and look brand frickin new. No wear or even the start of wear. Me Rikey! Me Rikey A Rot!! :D

I'm expecting to get anywhere from 20-25k Miles on these babies. Of course this is all US specific-type stuff. I have no idea how roads are on the islands! :wink:
· Shaun
· 98 'Hawk
Trip Trip Nanny!!