Widescreen TV anyone???

General Biker Banter
VeetyR

Widescreen TV anyone???

Post by VeetyR »

Ok ...so i went into currys armed with my price of £499 for this......

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/c ... Order_DOWN

Turns out when u click on the tv for £499 the price goes up to £899( check for yourself ) .....

In store they admitted it was a mistake on their site......but they honoured the price and i got a 42" tosh lcd hdtv for £499.....thats £400 cheaper than it should have been.

The best bit is that they still havent rectified it and u can still get it for this price so TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

They fixed it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
lee67

Post by lee67 »

me and missus bought a 42" plasma hd tv for xmas!!..tis the dogs danglies....was £999 we paid £699 :D
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Me and the missus bought a new telly between us for xmas

Hannspree (you know the guys who sponsor Toseland) 37" LCD £365 delivered from dabs.com

Great picture and it looks like £600+ of TV if you get my drift. It's a 1080i with 2 x HDMIs.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... ationKey=0
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

Only things I'd add:-
Is that plasma cost more to run than a crt tv and way more than a lcd so you'd also save on power.
Also plasma suffers from "burn in" like you see at the airports I.E. you can see the EastJet check-in desk when the plasma's not on :D
Samsung are good, Mirai are good as they all make there own glass not as said before "build and labled" as something else.
Sky HD is the only way to go for TV at the mo, last year I had 8 chanels now 14. C4 added 1 just before christmas.

Also we will be forced next year 2008 to sell only TV with on/off switches with no standby buttons....
Another change of plan by the goverment.
Think it's called a u bend.......

styler
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Great Comments
and good advice Mike & Styler.
I too have been in the TV repair trade for 20 years so I've had all makes and models under the old soldering iron over the years. :D
Everyone always asks which is the best buy or has the best sound expecting an answer like Sony or JVC.
I always tell em don't be led by name but go look at a few tellies or listen to a few hi fi's and then go buy the best picture/sound quality in that price bracket.
You'd be surprised at how cheep and good some of the badges products are.

Pete.l
of course I was always biased by spares availability and how easy they were to fix too :wink:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I've got a 32" LG. Fantastic. When I looked at it in the shop I was swapping between golf (yawn) and F1 grand prix (yawn yawn) to compare the picture quality on the LG and other more expencive makes. The LG picture was a lot sharper and the colour was a lot better.
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

Picked up that same Samsung today, it's a beast in a one bedroom starter home :) Rainbow six vegas is bonkers on it :D
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

FirestormMike wrote:Lcd's have a greater lifespan than plasma sets. Plasma boasted the best picture quality until about a year ago, now lcd technology has caught up bigtime
What you need to look for on the LCD's is the response time
The reason they've caught up is the processing power has improved meaning response times have dropped
For normal viewing you'd struggle to notice it but on things with fast action (eg football) you'd get 'motion blur' with the LCD's
For my money the plasma is a nicer picture for everyday viewing and more like watching a decent CRT
As for HD, in my opinion, it isn't worth it yet unless you want to go along the sky HD route,
Or have a PC hooked up to it
I have a cheap PC connected from the graphics card to the HDMI (not a cheap cable BTW!!) and the quality of the downloaded 1080 high def stuff is truly amazing
Also, don't go for the expensive model thinking it's the best quality, theres plenty out there which are just as good.
Amen to that. I bought a no-name 37" LCD from Argos this time last year for £379 and it has been brilliant

My final nugget of info is when you go into Dixons, currys etc have a damn good fiddle witht eh picture settings. They turn them all up to maximum brightness coz the shop is too damn bright to view them properly
Under those conditions the plasmas look a bit crap compared to the LCD's but its not a true representation
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

i paid £179 for a 19" lcd HD with Freeview for the bedroom yesterday.
Bought it from tesco they are doing the same tv with a built in dvd for £209.
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

I hav found that picture quality on these sets has a lot to do with picture settings.....brightness, contrast, backlight etc........if u think the pic dont look that great have a fiddle by lowering some of these and it sorts it right out.

As for Xbox 360 in HD.....wow.....i couldnt believe how crystal the image is.......no more "grainy" tutorial instructions or fuzzy people running around in the distance.........COD4 is the shizzle.....capping peeps from 1000yds......

As for Assasins creed....looks fantastic but i am at a point in the game where i aint got a fooking clue what to do coz i wasnt listening lol

John'o
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!