breakdown cover

General Bike chat
gazbut

breakdown cover

Post by gazbut »

hi all
happy new year!
can anyone recommend breakdown cover?
need to cover 2 cars and 1 bike for me and the wife.
cheers
gazbut
:)
VTR_Andy

Post by VTR_Andy »

I use the AA, never had a problem with them and use them 2 or 3 times per year (I drive alot of miles and frequently leave lights on etc).

I have joint cover with the wife, we are covered and not the cars/bikes.

They only thing they don't do is recover the car after an accident, I beleive the RAC may also do this.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I have been let down big time by the AA (nearly one hour to get towed off the hard shoulder of M25 to a 'safe place then over six hours, yes six to be recovered home........... probably always going to VTR_Andy as a regular user!!!!!!)
Greenflag come up as one of the best as they don't use a fleet of their own vehicles but get a local garage out. During that AA fiasco I saw several AA low loaders go by empty as I frantically wave but they were off to other jobs. In the end a local company called eventually by the AA recovered the car home with me etc.
Forgot to say that a few weeks later that an AA man tried to sell the service to me Clackett Lane on the M25. I thought good chance to ask him why their service was IMHO poor. He said they took twenty five new users a day, but lost seventeen so it didn't really bother him! I was less than impressed. His AA mate who was also selling heard this and as I was about to go caught my eye and with his boss not looking recommended GF so???
GF cover the vehicle for whoever is driving so might/might not suit your needs Gazbut

http://www.greenflag.com/breakdown/
Last edited by LotusSevenMan on Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
vtrkarl

Post by vtrkarl »

I use RAC but there still slow to come out and recover,but i believe there all same same...
yes dear...its yellow
solorider

Post by solorider »

i would only ever use AA,i did have aproblem with the AA once but it wasnt their fault,it was one of the seperate gatages forgetting to tell the AA where i was,i wouldnt touch greenflag or the rac
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I use AA, tried to change to Green flag a couple of years ago, they were a lot cheaper if it was only 1 car, but as soon as cars, bikes, wife, kids, mentioned, the operator wouldn't even give quote, she said stick to AA as they would be cheaper.

Gavin
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

RAC. £100 for me and missus home start and recovery, any vehicle . I have used them and they have not let me down yet
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Autoaid £29 me and wife any vehicle full recovery hotel etc homestart.
They call the nearest independent breakdown service, you pay by card they re-imburse by return post. Used them for years very good.
01277-235820.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

storminateacup wrote:Autoaid £29 me and wife any vehicle full recovery hotel etc homestart.
They call the nearest independent breakdown service, you pay by card they re-imburse by return post. Used them for years very good.
01277-235820.
Bargain........ but do not fancy the hassle of paying up front!
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
lee67

Post by lee67 »

i was one of the first in the uk to have AA bike breakdown( was given a gold bike badge with aa inscribed on it)..the one and only time i needed it, i was left by the roadside for hours, eventually a small aa car came, couldnt fix fault, he had no idea about bikes..and i then had to wait even longer for a bike trailer to arrive, i was sat by the road..for about 10 hours!!...that was about 23 odd years ago....now with bennetts and they have there own breakdown cover...first time i had to use em was last year( snapped chain)...they arrived within 30 mins and i received a swift lift back home, couldnt fault em :wink: ..our car is with rac( comes with new car) but havnt ever had to use them
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

Have a look at NCI,Got personal cover (any car/bike)for £80.Used the bike recovery for a punctured rear tyre,they sent out a bike specific recovery vehicle plus a guy who knew what he was doing loading it & strapping it down.couldn't fault 'em,
Greenflag also did me a massive favour hauling my car ,trailer tent & family back from Tenby a few years back after a camchain broke (why the hell did i then buy a firestorm!!!)
I'd ask any breakdown services how they cater for bike recovery,you dont want some twit arriving in a local garage tranny van to get you home.
cheers
Steve
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I've got one that may be similar to your RAC (since it's RACQ...). Rather than covering the vehicle, it covers me for whatever I'm driving. I guess it's designed for people with multiple vehicles, but there's a loop-hole for bike riders... Whenever I'm on a group ride, if someone breaks down, whoops, it was the bike I was riding! Bingo. Towing, whatever, all covered.

It costs about AUS$130 a year, but been well worth it for me, largely because of the kms I cover.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I'd ask any breakdown services how they cater for bike recovery,you dont want some twit arriving in a local garage tranny van to get you home
Now now, sexual orientation shouldn't be an issue
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

gazbut

Post by gazbut »

thanks all!
joined the rac £9.60 per month for me and the missus for any vehicle we're in. plus covers us if we have an accident for vehicle recovery.
cheers
gazbut :D
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

[quote]now now, sexual orientation shouldn't be an issue.

I mean't a tranny in a local van,not a local tranny van.No i mean a van from the local tranny garage.NO i mean...... :lol: