oil consumption

General Bike chat
barrioplano

oil consumption

Post by barrioplano »

Hi,

my brand new Firestorm lost (burnt) more that half a litre oil in its first 4000km after the 1000km check... the bike I previously owned (a Honda VTR250) traveled 45.000km and not even once I needed to refill the oil.

How about you guys? do you experience a similar oil consumption?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

oh dear :(
Done 40.000km (if my maths right.) or 25.000miles and never needed to add more than eggcup full between oil changes.
Sounds like somethings not bedded in there.

pete.l
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Same goes for me not had to top up at all by the way semi or fully
synthetic any opinions i use semi myself
barrioplano

Post by barrioplano »

Hmm, does not look like good news... I replace the original oil with Castrol Activ 4T (10W40 synthetic based) and replaced the filter at 1000 km. I do not think I have done anything bad...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Barrioplano wrote
my brand new Firestorm lost (burnt) more that half a litre oil in its first 4000km
If it's "brand new" I'd go and have a word with your local dealer where you bought it and see if they can put your mind at rest. Burning oil will be covered under warantee and they should be made to deal with it. I don't Know what your rights are in Japan but it's something we don't have to put up with here in the UK as we know the manufacture must guarantee their products.
Good luck.
Pete.l
barrioplano

Post by barrioplano »

Thank you... I bought my Storm new last October and in Japan as well you get a one year guarantee. From what you say (one eggcup of oil between changes etc etc) it definitely looks like a visit to the dealer is in my near future