SORN Warning - DVLA aren't sending out reminders!

General Bike chat
Wicky

SORN Warning - DVLA aren't sending out reminders!

Post by Wicky »

Just had an unpleasant and expensive spring surprise in the post from the :evil: DVLA :evil: of a minimum penalty of £40 + £7.84 arrears! for not reSORNing at the turn of the year, my expired declaration on my old festering GPZ600.

My excuse of not having received the reminder won't cut it as apparently there is "legal precedent that specifically removes non-receipt as a defence."

The nasty 5pt small print is "We will normally send you a reminder when your SORN declaration is about to expire."

Looks like they're 'taxing' if you're going too fast or not bleedin well moving at all! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

So heads up if you've got a SORNed bike and remember to mark your diary.

another biker in the same boat
Last edited by Wicky on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
chaz

Post by chaz »

just posted another not taxed notice on general chat, this time for not notifying them we had sold the car!!
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

if i have a bare frame surely i can contest the fine if i got one?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

KarlosVTR wrote:if i have a bare frame surely i can contest the fine if i got one?
If that's the case, then check the SORN related threads on the consumer forum* I linked to earlier. Prepare for letter writing, coming up with evidence for your side of the story, increasing fines and speaking with your MP.

Or just reluctantly cough up the £40 ASAP

* Check the similar threads bit at the bottom to get a better idea of how Kafkaesque the DVLA is.
goffy

Post by goffy »

Seems to be a bit of a habitual "oversight" at the DVLA. We got done for £30 for not re SORN ing a 125 last year, no reminder was recieved, a real micky take, tax on a 125 is about half the fine!

I don't think we have EVER got a SORN reminder, who reckons the DVLA has discovered a nice little earner?
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

I just got a 40 quid fine too for my '79 Z1000 ST. it ain't been out of my garden since I bought it a year gone september cos it needs so much work. I forgot to renew the SORN, and THEY forgot send a reminder :roll:
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

yup, and its my 2nd SORN penalty too cos til I moved house last month I also had 4 old saab turbo's, only one of which was used on the road - it was difficult to keep track of re-SORNing details, and I missed one :(
still, I've only got 3 bikes and 2 cars left now and only one SORN to worry about :)
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Thanks for that reminder Wicky. I'd all together forgotten about the car I have on Sorn.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.