Unifilter and fuel consumption

General Bike chat
Neophyte

Unifilter and fuel consumption

Post by Neophyte »

I've actually got two questions in this one post:

1. What sort of fuel consumption do you guys get when riding "normally" and not racing down every road? By normal I mean don't mean like when you use your car but just in a way that doesn't attract unwelcome attention, if you know what I mean.

My answer to this question is, believe it or not, 185km to 195km on a 16L tank before reserve lights up. I get this with my currently dirty filter and about 50km with my wife on the back.

2. Is there somewhere on the net where I can get hold of a unifilter as I would not like to pay the ridiculous South African price for a K&N?
Stratman

Fuel

Post by Stratman »

:P
I get up to 115 miles before the RLOD, so thats about 185km?
Think the art is not to use too much low rev grunt and actually spin the engine a bit.
tattie

Post by tattie »

Best was 103 miles on a long run and worst was 76. Blue flame high levels fitted on both occasions.
The theory on keeping the motor higher up in the revs seems to give better consumption.

Cheers A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Your mileage sounds pretty good to me - I'm lucky if I get 160km before the reserve light comes on, and more usually it's anywhere from 120-140. :(

As to the Unifilter, Uni don't (yet) make filters for the VTR (I contacted the factory and asked), but you can make your own if you buy the foam. I did. If you'd checked further down in this forum, you'd have seen my post on this topic, which has a link to my photos etc. of what I did. Cost me $NZ32 for the foam, and that's it, as I had the other stuff I needed already.
Basically, all you do is cut the foam to fit, cut the paper elephant out of the OEM filter, use silicon or whatever to glue it in, and you're done.

Hope this helps.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

When I get this kind of mileage I usually travel between about 3500 and 5000 rpm.

I'll check out uniflter's site for the filter foam. Thanks.
barrioplano

Post by barrioplano »

Driving very quietly (mostly 2/4000 rpm) I get 12.5 km/l when commuting in Tokyo and 15 km/l when driving out of town... :(