Heated Grips

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Norton500

Heated Grips

Post by Norton500 »

Just fitted some Oxford Hot Grips but after a month, the throttle side has stopped working (what with the heated heated vest I've just bought, I'm known as the geriatric wobbler, at work). Straight down to my mate who's an electrical engineer for him to stick his multimeter over it and the wires sealed inside the right angle piece that carries the wires into the throttle are knackered.

It's only been on a month since I fitted them but Oxford aren't to keen on sending me out another one until I strip off the old one and send 'em it (I lost the receipt and they want to make sure that I haven't had it on the bike for a couple of years...)

When I originally fitted them, I had the right angled piece pointing towards the back of the bike to be out of the way of everything else. Unfortunately, until I stuck it on full right lock I didn't realise that it also belted the tank and so had to modify it so that it has been sticking up, vertically. Is this the best way?

My questions are: (you knew I'd get there eventually)

1. Has anyone else got these grips and has fitted the throttle right angle a different way?

2. How do they work with your set up?

3. Have you had any experiences like me or am I just unlucky?

(a picture tells a thousand words so if anyone replies, can they post a photo?)
It's all a big joke until you have somebody's eye out...
Norton500

Post by Norton500 »

Anyone???
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Heated grips :?: heated vest :?: you'll be wearing a heated willy warmer next ya big wooss :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

storminateacup wrote:Heated grips :?: heated vest :?: you'll be wearing a heated willy warmer next ya big wooss :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hahahah,,,
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Mine must be similar though not Oxford. The cable exiting the grip is basically facing downwards so that when the throttle is opened it faces forwards to about level when fully open (though not quite level as I have the reduced throw quick action twist grip fitted)!!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Bonart

Post by Bonart »

TBH I'm not sure how I put mine on. I will have a look tomorrow and maybe post some piccies for you.
Norton500

Post by Norton500 »

Thanks for your comments Bonart & LSM. Any pics would be helpful Bonart.

On the subject of the vest, everyone at work reckons I'm an extra in the Bill due to my stab vest....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Norton,

If you paid for your h/grips by card (credit or debit) you should have proof of purchase on your bank statement :!:

Chris.
Bonart

Post by Bonart »

Sorry, forgot about the pics I promised. The first is a pic of the throttle closed, 2nd with the throttle fully open. I checked and it does not hit the tank even thou' it is close. At closed throttle it seems to run flush to the most forward throttle cable. Hope this helps.
And yes I know it does need a wash. :D

VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

thats how ive done mine^^^^ :D
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

the oxford heated grips on my old storm are on thier 3rd bike now,ive had them for 4 years & use them lots, had no problems at all. to get them of i poke a push bike spoke with the end hammered flat up between grip & throttle tube to crack super glue 8O done this twice now & they still work spot on, it might take hours to get them of but i dont have to buy new ones :lol: :lol: