chicken strips.....

General Bike chat
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Zakalwe wrote:just an afterthought.....what pressures are you running in the tyres?
off the top of my head im not 100% sure.. its what ever it says in zee book..

is it 42 in the rear and 36 in the front..

but dont take that as golden as my memory is about as good as a crack addict goldfish.
but i do know its what the book says... and i check them every other day.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

3,ooo miles :?: i got less than 2000miles,,had around 1mm tread in middle,passed mot fine last sat,went bike run(around 170miles)on sunday,now tread pattern dissapearing completely in middle of tyre :oops: .Must order one within next few days :!: :!:
Michelin pilot sports,gripy but squared off in middle........and there are plenty bends around here :!: :!: Would like to try something harder,but feel i gotta buy same for rear as front only half worn.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Stormin Ben wrote:Its actually the release agent that makes the tyres slippery, not the fact the rubber hasnt been scuffed up
It soaks into the tyre a bit so scrubbing with sandpaper isnt really gonna do much (apart from look better)
What you need is to get some heat into it and be gentle with the throttle while leaning it over to start with
Doesnt really take more then a handful of miles -I've done it in 2 laps on a trackday (good job it wasnt wet!) and about 30 on the road (fast blast followed by some long fast corners)

Chuxsta
If its the first time you've had the bike properly cranked over its possible the feel you're getting from the rear end is the suspension working in a different way.
Or the feel of new tyres vs old
Or a different make??
Best comment on this thread. Ben, youve said things I was unable to type or couldnd'nt be arsed to...

Keep going Chuxsta! :wink:
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

chuxsta wrote:[

That'd do it!!
I know the manual says 42 rear but thats a general setting to account for a large pie eating rider and pillion
I'd say 38 would be a more realistic starting point for the rear on a one up blast
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

i have mine at 36 front and 42 rear and im only about 11 and a half stone all clad up....i wonder if thats why i have trouble with my bike pinging me about and feeling like its going to let go all the time?...hmmmmm
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Stormin Ben wrote:
chuxsta wrote:[

That'd do it!!
I know the manual says 42 rear but thats a general setting to account for a large pie eating rider and pillion
I'd say 38 would be a more realistic starting point for the rear on a one up blast
Interesting, 42 feels good on BT021's with a 13 stone rider (namely me). I feel it moves about a bit too much if less that 40. But that is winter/spring shitey roads, never done any serious track work so I might have a re-think come summer.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

will try that then,,, will drop out a bit of pressure in the rear..

im about 11 stone ish.. well i was last time i checked...
depends how much beer i been chugging as to if its above or below the 11 mark..

i have dunlop 207's on it at the mo and as they put them on at the shop brand new i aint gonna complain.
and in all honesty its the only non bridgestone tyre i have had under me that i have hated...
every other bike i have looked forward to the day the tyres it came with were shagged so i could put my choice on..

so far these have been great.. but im sitll switching to my tyre of choice when they are shot..
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

chuxsta wrote:will try that then,,, will drop out a bit of pressure in the rear..

im about 11 stone ish.. well i was last time i checked...
depends how much beer i been chugging as to if its above or below the 11 mark..

i have dunlop 207's on it at the mo and as they put them on at the shop brand new i aint gonna complain.
and in all honesty its the only non bridgestone tyre i have had under me that i have hated...
every other bike i have looked forward to the day the tyres it came with were shagged so i could put my choice on..

so far these have been great.. but im sitll switching to my tyre of choice when they are shot..
That'll be the problem then :roll: put some proper sticky tyres on it :twisted:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

storminateacup wrote:
as said before i ride every day rain shine typhoon or snow.. i need the best of both worlds with my tyres..
have had sticky mofos on previous bikes and its great till your in the wet..
Big_Ham

Post by Big_Ham »

chuxsta wrote:
storminateacup wrote:
as said before i ride every day rain shine typhoon or snow.. i need the best of both worlds with my tyres..
have had sticky mofos on previous bikes and its great till your in the wet..
or you slow down from flat chat.

I usually have sports or sports touring tyres on my road bikes, anything else is just a waste IMO. Cheaper to buy and longer tyre life to boot.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

well as said before these 207s are the first non bridgestone that i have felt relaxed on... well until i have had it cranked over so i can kiss the kerb with my plum sack at least..

im gonna try the tyre pressure drop first..
then try altering my suspension settings cuase i have been wombles with that recetnlty...

oh how i miss the days of my budget 600s.. cant change any thing on them and i used to push them to their limits...
thrashing a duke on a stock hornet.. well kinda stock... was a rush...!!! all i had to do on that was make sure it had petrol in it... that was the only change i could make...
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

FirestormMike wrote:I get mine right over and I've still got about 3mm I can't get rid of, but tbh i dont think I need to. Maybe its the profile of the tyre, as I can ride on my limit and they do the job fine. Bridgestone BT-021.
i have always had bstones on every bike ranging back to to my 2 stroke days..... and loved them to bits...

and have tried nearly ever tyre availbel since...

but the storm is the only time i have actually managed to start using the last few mm of tyre left.. it might be the tyre i have the pressure or the suspension thats causing the sketchy feeling im getting when abusing huge lean angles...

but im really pissed up right now and not even sure what im typing..
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

I have Pilot Sports on the lade (used to run 2CTs on the SP1, but got fed up of a new rear every 1000 miles). The Sports have done nearly 2K miles, and have loads of rubber left (yes, I right like a big girls blouse)....loads of grip, never ever felt like they were moving, and I have used them right to the edge.

I run 32PSI front and 34 rear, and am a fat git. 42/36 is a safe setting for two up, straight line. Drop the pressures in the rear (that will let you use all of the tyre.......it might feel like the tyre in moving about a bit until its gets some heat in it. At 42/36 you wont really be getting the tyre up to full heat......
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

I am running Pilot Sports, no trouble geting footpegs down, steady as a rock. 1500 mls no sign of wear.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.