110mph 3pts fixed penalty - phew!

General Bike chat
Wicky

110mph 3pts fixed penalty - phew!

Post by Wicky »

Ouch!! Going a tad quick overtaking a Yam Thundercart and then didn't bother to slow down and a few miles down the A-road dual carriageway a plain silver but flashing blue Volvo caught my eye up my chuff .

Soon after during a pleasant chat - "mmm a bit over 90 officer" they offered me 3 points + £60 fine or alternatively go to Court with a likely ban, even though they'd clocked me at 110

Thundercart eventually comes pass the scene - I'm sure wetting himself!

Deal or No Deal - So I grabbed the points! as value for 9 years since my licence was last tarnished and ironically the time since I've had the Storm.

The pair of coppers were actually impressed by the open Micron race cans and weren't fussed by the fact that I only put the standard cans on for MOTs. Having no ickle no. plate - new tyres, leathers boots etc everything squeaky clean, seemed to keep it simple.

They tried the 'recently scraped up the biker's detached leg' warning tale on the dangers of speed but I filled him in on the gory details from when I worked at the hospital and I think then they were quite glad to get shot of me.

So 3 points shouldn't put my insurance up to much should it?
lee67

Post by lee67 »

yes it will double your premuim m8....

only kidding no idea, never had points...glad im on a slow bike now..less urge to speed 8) ..oh and the thundercat was a decoy copper, there to entice you to overtake at speed 8O ( wouldnt surprise me lol)
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

I'm wondering where this happened? those police sound half reasonable, lucky it was'nt essex i reckon. microns rule!
Not all those who wander are lost...
alan

Post by alan »

you have been very lucky mate i was caught by radar gun couple year back i was doing 89 in a 70 but i thought i was about 80 to be honest.

anyway i was sent to court because anything over 86 is above the guidelines according to the police who pulled me so 3 or 6 points cant remember now plus 240 pound fine. :( :(
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Essex A120 bypass Harwich–Colchester

Heading up to Nottingham for the 3rd Test on Friday so this will keep me cautious.

They did say if I'd been doing 85 they would have just given me a warning - so yup caught doing well over a ton I have been most fortunate.
jonesy wrote:I'm wondering where this happened? those police sound half reasonable, lucky it was'nt essex i reckon. microns rule!
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I was told many years ago that up to 20 mph over limit was a fixed penalty, 20-25 mph over limit coppers discretion whether fixed penalty or court appearance, 25mph compulsory court appearance and 30mph over limit compulsory ban.

Looks like you got off lucky there wicky

Gavin
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

Less paperwork involved maybe! :o
chaz

Post by chaz »

youngest son was caught on hus runner at 45 in a 30 in town, 3 points and £60.
I was caught in a car at 95 on a 70 3 points and £45 on a dual carriageway between Swindon and the M5 (A417).

I was offered the choice take or appeal, as it was my first points I took it as they said I could end up worse off..
no difference to insurance.
in His case that was the end of it, on the other hand a friend was caught (he is an IT manager £££) caught over 70 and he had points, fine and had to attend a course/days training ON A Stated day, AT A Stated place this ended up 70 miles away but he got away with no points or fine as a trade of, its an inconvenience because they tell you where and when, if you dont travel they fine and point instead. but he has a clean licence, Ive just had mine removed and if it wasnt for moving house Id have had to pay to take them off.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Anything over a ton used to be an automatic ban. Dont know if that's still the case though. Think you got lucky there.
Rich.

jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Hi wicky, noticed you were on the a120, you from round here? i'm near harwich.
Not all those who wander are lost...
lee67

Post by lee67 »

cupasoop wrote:Anything over a ton used to be an automatic ban. Dont know if that's still the case though. Think you got lucky there.
so true cup'......2 of my m8's got clocked at 128 mph for 6 miles....both let off with a warning...think it all boils down to the cops discretion and road conditions etc...lets just say wicky was a lucky man( learn from it perhaps)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Hi ya Jonesy

I was on my way back home to Colchester from Frinton, don't usually use the A120 - generally always A133 cos though slower its twistier and plod free...

Just to add for readers a funny bit of roadsign graffitti for context : "Harwich for the Continent; Frinton for the incontinent" :lol:

So heads up for a Stanway based unmarked silver Volvo V70?
jonesy wrote:Hi wicky, noticed you were on the a120, you from round here? i'm near harwich.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Nice one 8) Makes a pleasant change to have some Police make an informed decision.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Wicky wrote:Essex A120 bypass Harwich–Colchester

Heading up to Nottingham for the 3rd Test on Friday so this will keep me cautious.

They did say if I'd been doing 85 they would have just given me a warning - so yup caught doing well over a ton I have been most fortunate.
jonesy wrote:I'm wondering where this happened? those police sound half reasonable, lucky it was'nt essex i reckon. microns rule!
It takes 2 mins to write up a ticket and over an hour to write up all the paperwork to send you to court + if you go "not guilty" :cry: you can bet the court date will bugger up a rest day
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Big_Ham

Post by Big_Ham »

My 3 points and 60 quid made zero difference to my premiums thankfully.