Second hand parts from Dave silvers

General Biker Banter
warby221

Second hand parts from Dave silvers

Post by warby221 »

Well as some of you may remember I was going to rebuild the original engine out of my storm

Decided to get started on the rebuild about 3 weeks ago re-honed the bores in the new crank cases, striped the crank rods pistons on so on out of the old engine ready, ordered new main and big end bearings using the codes on the crank and cases
Ordered new piston rings, con rod bolts, gaskets and clutch retaining nut.

There’s a knock at the door when I get home tonight next door’s dropping off a package that came today

Great I can get on with putting it back together

So I get started put in the right crank bearing get out the left crank bearing and there’s
Witness marks on the back of it were it’s been in an engine before and the bearing face shows wear marks :o :o
not only that but I only got one half of the front con rod bearing and an extra left hand half shell mind you that’s the only new bearing I got

Have a look at the photos
Working from left to right in the photo.

The first bearing is new with no wear marks on the bearing face or witness marks around the oil holes on the back of the shell it’s a nice satin finish all over

Bearing two and three are from Dave silvers as can be seen the inner bearing faces show sighs of ware and the back of the bearings show witness marks from the oil holes in the crank cases these bearings have been fitted in an engine at some time

Bearings four and five are the original bearings from my engine and have been marked by me with a red marker pen dot to distinguish them the others

Not what I’d expect from a company like Dave silvers
Any way an email has been sent off with the pic’s attached have to see what they have to say for them selves
:x :x :x
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Sounds like a massive rock up! Prob sent back by someone and never checked. Got to be worth some freebies :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As you say Warby obviously been used with the oil marks on them. Knowing how good David Silvers have been in the past to me I doubt very much if they would have sent those out to you on purpose. More than likely some little scumbag managed to change them over in the stores with out anyone knowing :!:

Good luck with getting it sorted, I'm sure it will be :!:

Chris.

PS. Rather annoying though as it's held up your rebuild :!:
warby221

Post by warby221 »

I know your probably right just ranting after a bit of a let down it like you say there’s a good chance some one has returned them as being new after swapping them :x :x

When you think about it who ever works in despatch at D/S may not even know what a bearing is supposed to look like his job is to send out the parts by the part numbers :?

Mind you he buggerd that up to with the big end bearings :roll:

Have to see what they come up with no reply as yet
Knowing my luck I’ll get you trying to pull a fast one m8 then it’s time for timbo’s suggestion with a length of scaffold pole
With the words let my technical staff help you out m8y :twisted: :twisted:
coledog

Re: Second hand parts from Dave silvers

Post by coledog »

Just going over old posts how did you get on did they replace or refund any explanation let us know ?
Matt Black 04 model
warby221

Re: Second hand parts from Dave silvers

Post by warby221 »