R.I.P. Ben

General Biker Banter
pariah

Post by pariah »

So sad Kaz, it,s like losing a member of your family when this happens. The love a dog can bring is sadly missed. :cry: :cry:
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Thoughts are with you, Kaz. I'm looking down the barrell of the same thing for my cat. Rang the vet last week to find out the best way as chances are I'll have to do it myself. Sigh.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Always remember the good stuff.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
doggit

Post by doggit »

hi kaz, i am glad my origional post was not too much for you and yeah all dogs go to the rainbow bridge and its there they wait for us, and i know that sounds a bit weired but its something i use when ever a loved furry family member goes there, yeah bit soppy i know :cry: but we all have our ways, and glad pete's boss was a tad understanding but could have paid him at least, a good idea for pete maybe to do in memory of ben would be to sponser an older dog at dogs trust, those to old to rehome, they look after them and people help by sponsering one, hope this helps again
carl
The most affective way to turn petrol into noise without the side affect of horse power
doggit

Post by doggit »

well kaz, its just something to think about and would be nice to give an OAP dog a bit of comfort :D
carl
The most affective way to turn petrol into noise without the side affect of horse power
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

Veryy sorry to hear of your loss, as a dog owner I know how you must feel. And tonight, just an hour ago, my neighbour's dog was run over by car in front of my house, I saw the whole thing. Had to call the vet who put it to sleep by the side of the road (dog's spine was broke), but I stayed with the animal trying to make it comfortable for half an hour waiting for her to arrive. Very upsetting having to tell it's owners what happened. Feel sh1t now.

Chris
pariah

Post by pariah »

Chris thats dreadful, couldnt think of any thing worse.
Beast

Post by Beast »

Just read your post Kaz, so sorry hun sad news.
My thoughts are with you.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Kaz,

That's a really sad thing for you to have to do, but you had to do it. Like we'd wish for ourselves, we'd wish for our furry and feathered friends, die in our sleep, experience no pain and know nothing of it!

Unfortunately on this occaision that has not been possible - I know for one of our dogs a few years ago, it was the hardest most heart breaking decision Mandy had to make, but it was the right one. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, our mongrel Muffle was too ill to travel to the vets, so the vet made a house call. At least Muffle went to sleep in a place he knew and felt comfortable in and with people who loved him.

We have lots (and I mean lots) of pets, and it's true that we get very attached, so much that any loss is like losing a close family member. Why do we do it when it hurst so much? Because of the unconditional love, the company, the laughs the tears and the wonderful memories they enrich our lives with.

Chris,

That's a truly awful thing to have to witness, let alone be immediately involved with. As has been said, at least the poor dog died being cared for even if distressed.

I don't mean to sound callous however, why was the dog out while the owner wasn't around? and why was he/she not on a lead? Perhaps it had 'escaped' from a garden?

Our dogs are never given an opportunity to roam and when out for a walk are always on a lead when anywhere they may come to harm, especially near roads.

The only exception to this would be the Springer who's very well trained and usually obedient, but she's only allowed off the lead immediately outside the house for a short (20m) walk across the cul de sac to the large field across.

Like I said, I don't mean to sound callous even though I probably do. I think it's very irresponsible of any dog owner to allow their dog to roam and, for exactly the reason you posted, very unfair on the poor dog.

Graeme.
doggit

Post by doggit »

Like I said, I don't mean to sound callous even though I probably do. I think it's very irresponsible of any dog owner to allow their dog to roam and, for exactly the reason you posted, very unfair on the poor dog.

i couldnt agree more redstormv, to have a dog is a huge responsibility, not only to the dog but to other people, and all dogs should have some form of basic obedience classes, then the owner learns as well as the dog, and its totaly irrisponsible of people to let an untrained dog off the leash in public, and chris that was a great thing you did for the poor dog, god knows how scared and hurting the dog would have felt, and at least you were kind enough to comfort the injured dog in its last moments, i just wish more people were like you
carl
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm sorry too hear about your loss Kaz, I know exactly how you feel :!:

Like others have said we've had to make that decision too, more than once and it's never easy :!:

The fact is you put your pet first and did what was best for him, your feelings came second. I'm afraid there are plenty out there who put their feelings first and try to keep the pet going, just because they can't bear to be parted from them, never mind how much pain they are in or suffering they have to endure just to satify the selfish owner.

I like VTRgirls words:-
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Always remember the good stuff.

Chris.