Maxxis Tyres

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
yellowstorm

Maxxis Tyres

Post by yellowstorm »

Has anyone fitted Maxxis tyres to their Stom?

DK spares (01782 862200) are selling them on ebay for £99.99 + £6.95 P&P for a PAIR of Supermaxx 8O . If you know of any cheaper, please let me know.

Is there any comprimise in grip for everyday road riding? I don't do any track riding.

I use Bridgestone BT014's at the moment.
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire »

Not tried them yet but I am considering them for my next set.
Performance Bikes magazine did a test with them and found they were almost as good as the top brands in performance terms.
yellowstorm

Post by yellowstorm »

TWO testing them too on a GSXR long termer. They said great wear rate and excellent road performance. After a hard track session, the tyre started to split accross the tread. They think this is a 1 off. I don't think my mundane 20 min ride to work will replicate Nial McKenzie on a track session, so not too bothered.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

A mate of mine had them on his vfr ,never heard any complaints from him,mind you he doesnt like corners much anyhow :!:

Are they not the" Skoda " :?: of the bike tyre world...havin said that Skoda seems to win all the awards these days :lol:

If i was only saving ,say,£30 on a pair,personally i'd rather spend the extra on a brand name tyre :)
Stevie
yellowstorm

Post by yellowstorm »

I think they have shaken off that basic budget image. They have their own bike in BSB and sponsored the TT this year.

Have ordered some from DK, but they have run out of 120/70/17, so I'm going to give the 120/60/17 a go.

I'll keep you posted
yellowstorm

Post by yellowstorm »

I agree bout tyre sizing. Idealy I would go for the standard sizing. Used to run lower than standard profiles on my Gsxr's without any problems, they tended to drop into corners a bit quicker but that was about it.

Not knee downing anymore, those days are long gone. Went out for hour and half blast round my fave route today. Sore knees, sore wrists and cramp in my thighs. I think I'm getting too old for this sports bike stuff :?
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

They said great wear rate and excellent road performance.

That would worry me a bit. I'd rather have tyres that gripped really well and wore out quicker than have them last forever but I have to pick myself and the bike up a lot!!!

Can you still get 'Barum' tyres as they (being Czechoslovakian) really were the Skoda of motorcycle tyres. :roll:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
adfski

Post by adfski »

Busters are doing pilot sports for 120 a pair and diablo's for 150 a pair.

I have pilot sports and LOVE them. I ride pretty hard but haven't found the limit of these tyres in any conditions yet!

I'm sure some of you will think there not as good as supercorsa's and the like but the are almost half the price and very good!
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
Beast

Post by Beast »

Never had no problems with Maxxis, hard wearing and stick to the road like s@#t.

Have used them on and off for the last couple of years.
yellowstorm

Post by yellowstorm »

Well the tyres were delivered next day. Had them fitted and am in the process of scrubbing them.

Seem to be scrubbing in quite quickly and grip already pretty impressive, certainly no worse than the BT014's fitted previously.

The lower profile (120/60/17) front makes the bike drop into corners much more quickly. Not sure if this is a good thing yet as still getting used to it.

So far all good.
yellowstorm

Post by yellowstorm »

Update:

Very impressed :D Confident in the wet, and seem to warm up quickly.

No adverse effect of having a lower profile front, appart from feeling the bumps a bit more.

Dont seem to be showing any signs of wear yet?!?!

For every day road riding they are great. Save some money and buy a pair, you won't be dissapointed.