The Cycling Ride Thread 2014

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

AMCQ46

Re: The Cycling Ride Thread 2014

Post by AMCQ46 »

did another 70 mile ride today, and it included 3 feck-off big hills, the middle one having a 15% gradient for about .5 mile.

my legs are jelly :lol:
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

Nice one Al.

I've done nothing for two weeks. Been out with a lower respiratory tract infection. London2Brighton in 13 days. Not looking good :(
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that's not going to help the training, but you should have enough in your legs already to still do the L2B. you still coming to wales as part of your prep
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Posted awhile ago that I was heading over to the Isle of Man with my MTB. Well me and my partner went a couple of weeks ago and had a cracking time. Spent the week riding, walking and generally doing the tourist thing and the island is bloody lovely. No surprise to those who've been, but I wasn't expecting sure a sporty feel and such stunning terrain. We were lucky with the weather, but I'll definitely go back.

The riding wasn't very technical, but more than made up for it in character. Long days (30-35 miles) with very little road work and hardly anyone else about. We stayed in Peel and rode from there - great base for cycling on or off-road - two days going south linking up plantations and one day heading into the centre inside the TT course. I can provide some route details if anyone's interested, but I can recommend:
Cringle Plantation - if you have a Speeder Bike fantasy this is the place to go
The End 2 End decent in Arrasey Plantation is excellent.
The decent to Glen Maye from the A27 is one I'd like to do when it's less overgrown. Gets technical at the end, but the vegetation makes it difficult to ride.
The bridle way from Sartfell Plantation on the B10 south to Crosby is fantastic. Single track moorland with a fast grassy decent. When you get to a gate and track at the bottom turn right and do two sides of a triangle for more off-road, rather than take the track.
The decent to Ballig would be excellent too. Steep with sharp 'babies head' type rocks the lower you go. We went up it which was a bad move.

It was practice week for the Classic TT too. Managed to catch five sessions I think, from various places on the course. Cronk-y-Voddy was my favourite - bloody fast!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sounds like an ideal time to go to get a bit of everything. :thumbup:
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:that's not going to help the training, but you should have enough in your legs already to still do the L2B. you still coming to wales as part of your prep
I won't be able to do L2B now. I was convinced up until yesterday that I would be ok. Seen the doctor again and he has said my lungs are going to be too damaged and they need to recover. He sent me for a chest xray to make sure it's not anything more serious. My legs would be fine I reckon but I dont think it is worth the risk.

I'm not 100% sure on coming to Wales yet as I still feel like sh1t. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Fortunately this years effort and sponsorship is a joint one with my mate. I'll be his support vehicle for the day so will still be involved. I'll let you know how he gets on. It'll be the furthest he has ever ridden off road.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that's a shame about the L2B George, but might be best to listen to the doctor in this case!... don't envy your mate now he has to face the challenge on his own, but I guess it will be like the road sportif's and you can quickly pair up with others who are of the same ability as you.

will be good to see you in Wales, you can go pillion if you are not cycling!
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:that's a shame about the L2B George, but might be best to listen to the doctor in this case!... don't envy your mate now he has to face the challenge on his own, but I guess it will be like the road sportif's and you can quickly pair up with others who are of the same ability as you.

will be good to see you in Wales, you can go pillion if you are not cycling!
Thanks. I have asked another mate to do it too. So there are two of them now at least. You are right though. It's easy to find people with a simililar pace. It's also dangerous to get drawn into peopl that are faster than you too though!! I have offered to drive them there and be a support vehicle for the ride.

As for Wales, gutted I didn't make it. Still poorly. Went into work today and was back home in bed by lunch time. Really pissed off with it now tbh :x :x :x :x
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Another 70 miler today and managed 15.5mph average riding on my own.

I might have pushed a bit hard in the middle of the ride and payed for it near the end when my legs were empty, but a good day in the sun...sweating like a pig :lol:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Do you wear lycra yet al. Maybe a lycra onsie :lol:

On a serious note do you use a camelbak or something and re-hydrate yourself on route, and what do you drink.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

One hobby for leather one hobby for Lycra :lol: That's the internet for you :D

As it's a road bike I don't use my camel back, but have 2 off 750cc bottles in the cages and use a zipvit carb powder in them... I filled them both up at the 1/2 way stage
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

carb powder = fuel booster. That's good miles per gallon, anymore and you will need a cathetar too :lol: So that's, what.... 3 litres per 70 miles if you filled up twice. 8O

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

And 3 energy bars, one energy gel, half a packet of jelly babies and 3 chocolate crispy cakes :thumbup:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

BBC2 right now Al Ian Drury film starting. :thumbup:

Catch you later

geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:Another 70 miler today and managed 15.5mph average riding on my own.

I might have pushed a bit hard in the middle of the ride and payed for it near the end when my legs were empty, but a good day in the sun...sweating like a pig :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: