what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
TheGingerBeardMan

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

WD40? For the love of god man! Yer kidding? yeah, go on, you ARE aren't you. 8O

If yer gonna flush out with brake cleaner afterwards, then just use brake cleaner in the bobbins to start with (yay? nay?). That way, you don't have to worry about if it gets on yer calipers/pads/etc.

Be careful with your fairing front and sides AND mudguard when using brake cleaner, as it splatters everywhere, and can pinhole anything plastic it comes into contact with, or fade the paint in millions little white spots.

The guy in the video wasn't arsed about his paintwork, as it was a winter bike with shitty paint. But us stormin normans, with our clean (and expensive) paint-work, need to be VERY cautious.

I covered the my paintwork with an old sheet, after I discovered what the brake cleaner does if it lands on plastic.

Tread lightly young skywalker...... :thumbup:
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Took my Ohlins shock (at long last ) to be serviced at FTR Suspension to find out it was originally from an '87 Suzuki GSXR 750 ! The next surprise will be the bill :eek2
Last edited by Wicky on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:WD40? For the love of god man! Yer kidding? yeah, go on, you ARE aren't you. 8O

If yer gonna flush out with brake cleaner afterwards, then just use brake cleaner in the bobbins to start with (yay? nay?). That way, you don't have to worry about if it gets on yer calipers/pads/etc.

Be careful with your fairing front and sides AND mudguard when using brake cleaner, as it splatters everywhere, and can pinhole anything plastic it comes into contact with, or fade the paint in millions little white spots.

The guy in the video wasn't arsed about his paintwork, as it was a winter bike with shitty paint. But us stormin normans, with our clean (and expensive) paint-work, need to be VERY cautious.

I covered the my paintwork with an old sheet, after I discovered what the brake cleaner does if it lands on plastic.

Tread lightly young skywalker...... :thumbup:
I didn't have any brake cleaner so I tried with contact cleaner. This didn't work, you could still see the deposits. The WD40 worked after a fashion. I could get one to move, just.

Don't worry about the WD40, that's all gone now. Down the shops today for brake cleaner and I'll have a go with that. Thanks for the tip about it damaging paintwork. I didn't know that.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Wicky wrote:Took my Ohlins shock (at long last ) to be serviced at FTR Suspension to find out it was originally from an '87 GSX-R 750! The next surprise will be the bill :eek2
So is your ohlins the right dimensions for a storm mate?
I had an ohlins serviced and re-sprung, I think the spring was £80 and the service was £120ish, but it will depend on what needs replacing.. :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

agentpineapple wrote:
Wicky wrote:Took my Ohlins shock (at long last ) to be serviced at FTR Suspension to find out it was originally from an '87 GSX-R 750! The next surprise will be the bill :eek2
I had an ohlins serviced and re-sprung, I think the spring was £80 and the service was £120ish, but it will depend on what needs replacing.. :(
When I bought it from fleabay for about £200 (about 2006 - fitted 2008) it was advertised as having been a blade shock supposedly converted for the storm. The length is adjustable and was the same as measured against the old OEM one. I've ridden it for 30,000 miles and haven't fallen off so it mustn't be too bad! :shifty:

They measured the spring weight and its within tolerances for my lardy self. So I've taken it to be locally blasted & powder coated (£20) and refitted on reassembly. The internal bushes will all need replacing, and the bush where it bolts onto the lower linkage will be replaced so I don't need to use my bodged space and washers to make it fit. Also the braided hose to the remote reservoir will be replaced and regassing.

Not to sure what they charge but coincidently they needed some website work done so we're coming to a nice arrangement :)

The lads and lass at FTR are a very nice bunch, spotless purpose built professional premises out in the sticks just outside Braintree in Essex. With facilities, tools and stores that are a suspension freak's wet dream full of golden yellow precious.

http://ftrsuspension.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/FTRSUS?fref=ts
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

My bobbins move! I can't move them with my fingers and the disk doesn't flop around as per the video but they move easily with a small spanner on the bolt. Will test brake grab and report back.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
TheGingerBeardMan

KermitLeFrog wrote:My bobbins move!
WOOHOO!! - :clap: My discs also didn't have that much "free play" (like the guys bike in the video), but after a few flushings and turnings, I could pinch the bobbins with my thumb and finger, and turn them freely.

When I put a towel over the wheel (for the brake cleaner spray to run onto), the amount of brake dust and shite that came out of each one was impressive. (again, if yer using a spray can of brake cleaner, you'll see the white marks it leaves when dry on yer wheels! - remember to wipe, wipe, wipe!) When I was done, I sprayed "bumper back to black" onto a cloth, and wiped the wheels with that. Spraying onto a cloth then applying, removes the risk of getting it on yer discs.

After cleaning, the disc bobbins will feel tight at a certain point (if moving them by hand), as there's a spring plate behind the bobbin that has a bend in it. (You can turn the bobbin freely, and then it "tightens up" when you get to the spring, and then it frees up again). It's meant to be like that!

Excellent news that you've got movement. They may need going over again (have a rest for a day, then go do 'em again!).

You'll find afterwards, that the feel through braking is 100% better. You don't get juddering through the bars, and you're saving the discs from getting warped as they're no longer "locked" as if they were all welded together.

:thumbup: :Beer1:

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
KermitLeFrog wrote:My bobbins move!
WOOHOO!! - :clap:

Excellent news that you've got movement. They may need going over again (have a rest for a day, then go do 'em again!).

You'll find afterwards, that the feel through braking is 100% better. You don't get juddering through the bars, and you're saving the discs from getting warped as they're no longer "locked" as if they were all welded together.

:thumbup: :Beer1:
I can't go out today. I have w*rk to do. Plus it looks like it's about to pour down. But, I have a ride booked for tomorrow. I'll report back.

On a different subject, I've been going out with a guy from a local Roadar group. I tried the car guys but that was a crock of sh*t. Make like you are driving a 7.5 ton Bedford army truck. The bike guy is totally different. We just go for a hoon, chat about it then go for another hoon. Sometimes a little tip makes a huge difference (Remember, I haven't been on a road bike for 20 years). I was having problems on bumpy sweepers. I thought it was the suspension. Turned out I was putting too much weight on the bars. Holding my weight up with my knees and barely touching the bars transformed the bike. We also had a disagreement on hairpins. I trail the back brake around them. He said, there's no need for that. He's putting his track Ducati on the road for (hopefully) a demo tomorrow.
stealthbomber

Post by stealthbomber »

Wicky wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:
When I bought it from fleabay for about £200 (about 2006 - fitted 2008) it was advertised as having been a blade shock supposedly converted for the storm. The length is adjustable and was the same as measured against the old OEM one. I've ridden it for 30,000 miles and haven't fallen off so it mustn't be too bad! :shifty:

They measured the spring weight and its within tolerances for my lardy self. So I've taken it to be locally blasted & powder coated (£20) and refitted on reassembly. The internal bushes will all need replacing, and the bush where it bolts onto the lower linkage will be replaced so I don't need to use my bodged space and washers to make it fit. Also the braided hose to the remote reservoir will be replaced and regassing.

Not to sure what they charge but coincidently they needed some website work done so we're coming to a nice arrangement :)

The lads and lass at FTR are a very nice bunch, spotless purpose built professional premises out in the sticks just outside Braintree in Essex. With facilities, tools and stores that are a suspension freak's wet dream full of golden yellow precious.

http://ftrsuspension.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/FTRSUS?fref=ts
Sounds promising, and not too far from me. I've got to get a wp shock serviced and my sp1 forks need the seals doing so I'll get in touch with them.
In the land of ham fisted, I am king
TheGingerBeardMan

Meester Frog wrote:
I haven't been on a road bike for 20 years...
That's ok. It'll all come back. :wink: You're always going to get folk coming out with different opinions on how to ride into corners/hairpins etc. Line up 20 modern day riders, and show then ONE corner, and they'll ALL have a different view on it. Even 3 different motorcycle riding instructors will contradict each other. The same as if taking yer dog to a Vet. One will say one thing, another veterinarian will suggest something else.

If you take it easy, break yourself in SLOWLY, and NOT try to get yer knee down or anything daft, then all should be good.

Remember, your not riding to break any records. Nor are you riding to impress anyone. Just because this guy on a top whack Ducati can go round a corner as if on rails at 70mph, doesn't mean you'll be able to do the same - even if he explains what to do. We all have our limits of how far we're prepared to go. From: "this is easy"...to, WHOAH Nelly! that was close!...not doing THAT again!"

His bike will be set up differently, will have different handling characteristics, and, he's got no fear (after using a track) in throwing the bike to its limits on a corner. Track riding and road riding are waaay different. If you ferk up on a road corner, there's all-sorts to smash into. On a track, there's a smooth run off, grass to slide on, kitty litter to dump the bike into and bales/tyres to bounce off.

So again, just cos the mate says "do it like this", may not work for you, and it'll end up costly it all goes tits up. (or should that be "tits sideways!?")

Heck!, there are some corners that even I still take like a thruppenny bit, and I'm better at taking left hand corners harder than I am right (s'all to do with camber) But, even when I used to ride out with 5 or more "mates", they all used to blatt ahead like their butt was on fire, and I just arrived, well, whenever I arrived.

As for speed limits, well, they're just that: limits. They are not targets to be met, and just because the sign says "60", doesn't mean you have to ride at that speed. You've still got all those years of past experience to release again, and get it all falling back into place. Riding within your OWN capabilities (on a more modern, faster bike), and not trying to match someone elses capabilities is a MUST. Try not to absorb all the technical info these younger riders throw at you, as it'll just swamp the old grey matter with too much information.

Personally, the only way to get back into riding (and catching up with modern handling and technology), is to book a rider-refresher course with a qualified instructor. That way, yer getting good, reliable, and proven riding skills. It's something I was thinking about doing soon - taking an Advanced refresher (before the health determined handing the licence back to the DVLA until I get medically approved to ride again).

Take 'er easy. Break back into it slowly. Find out how the bike handles in certain situations (without pushing it), and ride within your own comfort zone. Keep 'er upright and remember: "There are too many dead heroes in the Cemetery!"

:thumbup:

stealthbomber

Post by stealthbomber »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
Meester Frog wrote:
I haven't been on a road bike for 20 years...
That's ok. It'll all come back. :wink: You're always going to get folk coming out with different opinions on how to ride into corners/hairpins etc. Line up 20 modern day riders, and show then ONE corner, and they'll ALL have a different view on it. Even 3 different motorcycle riding instructors will contradict each other. The same as if taking yer dog to a Vet. One will say one thing, another veterinarian will suggest something else.

If you take it easy, break yourself in SLOWLY, and NOT try to get yer knee down or anything daft, then all should be good.

Remember, your not riding to break any records. Nor are you riding to impress anyone. Just because this guy on a top whack Ducati can go round a corner as if on rails at 70mph, doesn't mean you'll be able to do the same - even if he explains what to do. We all have our limits of how far we're prepared to go. From: "this is easy"...to, WHOAH Nelly! that was close!...not doing THAT again!"

His bike will be set up differently, will have different handling characteristics, and, he's got no fear (after using a track) in throwing the bike to its limits on a corner. Track riding and road riding are waaay different. If you ferk up on a road corner, there's all-sorts to smash into. On a track, there's a smooth run off, grass to slide on, kitty litter to dump the bike into and bales/tyres to bounce off.

So again, just cos the mate says "do it like this", may not work for you, and it'll end up costly it all goes tits up. (or should that be "tits sideways!?")

Heck!, there are some corners that even I still take like a thruppenny bit, and I'm better at taking left hand corners harder than I am right (s'all to do with camber) But, even when I used to ride out with 5 or more "mates", they all used to blatt ahead like their butt was on fire, and I just arrived, well, whenever I arrived.

As for speed limits, well, they're just that: limits. They are not targets to be met, and just because the sign says "60", doesn't mean you have to ride at that speed. You've still got all those years of past experience to release again, and get it all falling back into place. Riding within your OWN capabilities (on a more modern, faster bike), and not trying to match someone elses capabilities is a MUST. Try not to absorb all the technical info these younger riders throw at you, as it'll just swamp the old grey matter with too much information.

Personally, the only way to get back into riding (and catching up with modern handling and technology), is to book a rider-refresher course with a qualified instructor. That way, yer getting good, reliable, and proven riding skills. It's something I was thinking about doing soon - taking an Advanced refresher (before the health determined handing the licence back to the DVLA until I get medically approved to ride again).

Take 'er easy. Break back into it slowly. Find out how the bike handles in certain situations (without pushing it), and ride within your own comfort zone. Keep 'er upright and remember: "There are too many dead heroes in the Cemetery!"

:thumbup:
Wise words there indeed :thumbup:
In the land of ham fisted, I am king
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:Personally, the only way to get back into riding (and catching up with modern handling and technology), is to book a rider-refresher course with a qualified instructor. That way, yer getting good, reliable, and proven riding skills.
I agree, and that's exactly what I'm doing. It's been very worthwhile.
TheGingerBeardMan

Le frog...he says :
that's exactly what I'm doing....
I doff me hat to you. Respect, and regards. Dave. :Beer1:

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

had a visit from the spanner monkey today, it's been a case of long time no see, we had several cups of coffee and bitched about all you forum members..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
and true to form I got him working on my bike..... :biggrin
we bled the front brakes and adjusted the chain.
regardless of that, it was good to see him again.... :thumbup:
p.s looks like I have a leaking fork seal, a tad pissed off, as I had the forks rogered a year ago and it would have had new Honda fork seals, I suppose they have a tough job with me on the bike.... :lol:
I would have hoped for more than 5k out of them tho.... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My bobbins move! I can't move them with my fingers and the disk doesn't flop around as per the video but they move easily with a small spanner on the bolt.
That is all good. The disc on the Storm are what is known as IIRC partial floating whereas the ones in the vid are fully floating so spin with your fingers and flap about a bit.
http://www.braketech.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=69

Some serious reading in this PDF. One for the techies, a University dissertation.
Experimental Investigation of Judder in a Floating Disc-Caliper ...
https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file ... ion=inline
I would have hoped for more than 5k out of them tho.... :(
I still think Honda made a bad batch as there have been too many failures of lately.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... fork+seals

It was good to see you today. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside