what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
TheGingerBeardMan

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Tyres, wheel bearings, brake pads, Goop, and as much free hot chocolate, soup, or coffee I could drink

Today, I took a sneaky ride out. :shh:

I went to the bike garage to get me new tyres fitted, plus a few bits.

So...today has seen the Storm get another set of Bridgestone Battlax T30s, but the EVO set this time, front and rear. (Tyre date of manufacture: 04-15)

Bridgestone Webpage for the Battlax T30 Evo
http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/moto/range ... x/t30-evo/

These are SUPERB tyres, and I can't recommend them enough. It's my 2nd pair of T30's. Luv em, luv em, luv em. They heat up straight away, and stick to the road like sh1t to a blanket.

If they're good enough to get Rossis' stamp of approval (have a look on the YouTube video, there's a video of Rossi going straight onto a track with a fresh set of T30s, not even scrubbed in, and he rides balls out on them straight off! - But I took it gently riding my new set home. My balls aren't as big as the Doctors.)

Valentino Rossi rides the Bridgestone Battlax T30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxI2Caz ... e=youtu.be

Other bits done n' bought:

Got both tyres Gooped at the same time. (puncture repair/preventative)

Also got a set of front wheel bearings fitted (seals were fine): 2 x Koyo 6004 2RS/DDU.

Then, finally bought a fresh set of rear brake pads: EBC FA174 (organic).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy I use was superb once again, and the whole bill came to just £292.00 :thumbup:

That's £240 for the tyres with free fitting.

£10 for the bottle of Goop.

£18 quid for the brake pads.

and £24.00 for the wheel bearings (£10 each plus vat)

Trundled home, on a damp road, shitting meself as per usual on fresh rubber front and rear. Cleaned all the greasy marks off the bike the mechanic left behind, then rode her back round to the lock up, dried it off, and put the cover back on it again.

A happy bunny. Albeit a rather naughty bunnie for riding when I'm not meant to. :twisted:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I can feel the grin :biggrin :biggrin Be careful. :wink: That Rossi vid is superb thanks for posting. I like Rossi, not only is he the dogs dangles of a rider but he's a nice character too.

So what have I done to my bike today....nothing accept ride it across London at an average speed of about 20-30mph and that's being greedy :lol: At one stage I was poodling along in a traffic jam at 10mph FFS. You know it's bad when bikes struggle to get through congested traffic. I hate London. :thumbdown:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I have not been working on the VTR. Instead I have been waiting for a good day to stretch its legs. (Maybe tomorrow?)

I acquired another bike. My son in law gifted me his 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200. It was his only mode of transport before he got a car and now that he is on four wheels it has languished. It has spent the last few years being used regularly and sitting outside. In Texas this in not the death sentence it seems to be in the UK but the paint is pretty tatty and the seat has a bad, if not comfortable, cover on it. He had previously made the bike a streetfighter but I had save all the components and I have re-installed the fairing and the original turn signals. It runs fantastic, starts easy with no smoke. With the exception of the "Holeshot" can and the bent brake lever this bike would pass an MoT (if we had such a thing.)

I am not sure what I am going to do with it. I don't need it but it is still a great bike.

Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Wheelie bike in the making :-)
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I had a 600 Bandit as my first bike and like the thought of a 12, gotta go naked though, was never a fan of the faired ones.

On the VTR, I decided to check behind the rubber on the starter motor. Before it was fully off there was dirt and powdery rust pouring out, then a few chunks, then I saw this...

baldrocks. I'll be referring to AP's refurb thread sometime soon then. Could this be responsible for an issue I sometimes get when I hit the starter, it does a half crank then cuts out, clocks reset and I need to press the button again for it to turn over. I assumed it was battery but this is probably a better place to start!
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Big_Jim59 wrote:I have not been working on the VTR. Instead I have been waiting for a good day to stretch its legs. (Maybe tomorrow?)

I acquired another bike. My son in law gifted me his 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200. It was his only mode of transport before he got a car and now that he is on four wheels it has languished. It has spent the last few years being used regularly and sitting outside. In Texas this in not the death sentence it seems to be in the UK but the paint is pretty tatty and the seat has a bad, if not comfortable, cover on it. He had previously made the bike a streetfighter but I had save all the components and I have re-installed the fairing and the original turn signals. It runs fantastic, starts easy with no smoke. With the exception of the "Holeshot" can and the bent brake lever this bike would pass an MoT (if we had such a thing.)

I am not sure what I am going to do with it. I don't need it but it is still a great bike.

I have the next gen one as my daily ride to and from work. We use it alot for 2 up and had the seat modified to suit along with pillion pegs lowered. I also us it my my mentor riding, help out new and returning riders.

I fitted .95 fork springs and re-valved the forks. Busa shock in the back. Stage 2.25 jet kit and filter with Delcivic pipe.

Goes like snot. Great bike. In the twistes I keep up with mates on Busa's etc 2up.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

The work on the bobbins made a difference. Much smoother braking, especially coming to a stop.

Left home in the dry, went through rain. Met instructor at cafe (dry and coffee outside). Had a look at his Ducati 1098 which he wanted me to have a ride on...

Bloody phone call, emergency at work, gulped coffee, said cherio and went back, through torrential rain this time. 40 mile round trip, dry at both ends and very heavy rain (and floods) in the middle. Weird.

He did say he wanted me to ride the Duke so that he could try out the VTR. Next time and we may have a convert!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I think as riders get older the storm suits them better, they're riding more extreme v-twins like ducati's and sp's and tlr's and so on, but they're not as forgiving or as comfy as a storm, as we know they're a very under rated road bike..... :thumbup:
tested out my freshly bled front brakes, loads better, tomorrow I might go to a quiet road and do some brake testing to see how far I can push them. always good to know what the brakes are capable of.
I also saw some crazy car driving today, proper racing thru traffic, and typically not one plod in sight.... :roll:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

and typically not one plod in sight.... :roll:
That will be because they where all out yesterday. :lol:

It would be a good idea to give them another bleed now you have used them a bit and put the system under some pressure. It will get rid of any last little bits of air in the system. It will only take a couple of squeezes in the lever. Start on the left calliper as it's furthest away (slightly longer line IIRC) and then the right. Don't open the bleed nipple too much and keep the pressure applied at the lever while you release the bleed screw. You wouldn't even have to attach the bleed bag as it will only be a couple of squirts. Just make sure you wash down spilt fluid with plenty of water ASAP.

TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

TravisZack wrote:On the VTR, decided to check behind the rubber on the starter motor....

That's exactly the condition I found mine in a few days ago. I still haven't tackled it yet. As it was all a rusty lump, I hold my head in shame and say all I did was put the boot back over it again. :(
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I still haven't tackled it yet. As it was all a rusty lump, I hold my head in shame and say all I did was put the boot back over it again. :(
Your in the corner with me then because I done exactly the same. I will tackle the job when I start to suffer from starting issues, but right now everything works fine. I'm really bad for not taking preventative measures on my own vehicles and wait until something breaks before I fix it. :roll:

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:
and typically not one plod in sight.... :roll:
That will be because they where all out yesterday. :lol:

It would be a good idea to give them another bleed now you have used them a bit and put the system under some pressure. It will get rid of any last little bits of air in the system. It will only take a couple of squeezes in the lever. Start on the left calliper as it's furthest away (slightly longer line IIRC) and then the right. Don't open the bleed nipple too much and keep the pressure applied at the lever while you release the bleed screw. You wouldn't even have to attach the bleed bag as it will only be a couple of squirts. Just make sure you wash down spilt fluid with plenty of water ASAP.

i'll do that in a mo thanks mate.
btw if only I knew someone who did refurbished starter motors for a forum friendly price....... :wink:
the only issue with waiting until it goes wrong, is it could leave you stranded, but having said that, it's not to difficult to bump start a storm.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

it's not to difficult to bump start a storm.
Some may not agree with that. Personally I have not had any issues bump starting from 2nd gear on a downward slope. Got to be careful on that throttle though as when it kicks in one could easily be dragged along like superman. :lol:

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:
Some may not agree with that. Personally I have not had any issues bump starting from 2nd gear on a downward slope. Got to be careful on that throttle though as when it kicks in one could easily be dragged along like superman. :lol:

I find it a lot easier to bump it in a higher gear 3rd or 4th, if your legs are long enough you don't even need a downward slope... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

agentpineapple wrote:
cybercarl wrote:

I find it a lot easier to bump it in a higher gear 3rd or 4th, if your legs are long enough you don't even need a downward slope... :thumbup:
Who are you trying to kid? You can't run that fast! ....can you? 8O

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal