what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by VTRDark »

Sounds like hell living down there carl
Oh you guys that live out in the open countryside don't know how lucky you are if you have never ridden in Central London. It does teach one some throttle control. I play a game with myself sometimes. See how long I can go without having to put a foot down in slow moving traffic while drifting along at 10mph or less and low revs. It also teaches one how to filter (weave :roll: ) in and out of traffic, you soon learn the width of your bike :lol: Sometimes it is necessary to go on the other side of the centerline playing chicken with the oncoming traffic. Watch out for them Islands :eek2

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

another 3 tank fuels of petrol, 312 miles today and wonderful sunshine since 0530. Gelling with the bike and met a guy on at Street triple who thought my bike was " arnt they de tuned so their crap" did nt see him after 3 miles. The bikes going great.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:Went for a nice ride out to Essex with AP today. Helped a friend out with his ZX10 and then we raced back down to Essential rubber so the 10 could have it's MOT. Found out Essential rubber is closing down. See the following thread:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 99#p387075

And have now rode home. London is a fooking gridlocked nightmare at the moment. Formula 4 electri racing or something going on over Batersea park. I can here the news chopper circling around now. It's Armed Forces Day so there are lots of little things going on. Then there is sdome kind of Gay pride thing happening around Parliament/Trafalgar Sq I think. Traffic is all diverted there off the embankment and there are lots of blokes ion dresses :lol: The Embankment is a nightmare in itself as the majority of that along Embankment, Temple and pretty much all along up to the highway is all got roadworks on. Narrowed down to one lane and cone'd up criss crossing onto the other side of the road at times. They are only putting in some kind of new road layout with one big fook off cycle lane. Jeez this is a major thoroughfare across London. Where do they think all the congested traffic that usually goes down there is going to go :twisted: this includes HGV's (lots of) buses, cars, vans, taxi's, motorcyclists, cylists, pedestrians, the lot. :Argue: It seems the cyclist come first as far as the goverment are concerned. Do they expect everyone else to abandon their vehicles and start cycling or something. I can't wait to see the day a cylist is pulling a great big Yelllow skip full of sh1t behind them. :lol: :lol:

Bit of a rant there but I am still in hyper mode from getting off the bike. I haven't come down yet.

This morning when I left I thought I would go south of the river as I knew about the roadworks along the embankment. Went past the Imperial War museum and go around the bend at the lights and WTF.....chocca...full of Buses. It looked like a bus station. Basically as go aroudf the bend heading towards Southwark direction they have taken the road down to one lane from 4 or is it 3 :think: anyhow more roadworks. Jeez I had a nightmare getting to AP's house this morning.

Well there you go folks. A day in a life of London traffic. :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted:

(:-})
I suppose you must adjust to it to a degree, but it sounds like a nightmare to me :crazy:
In Cornwall we may not have all the things available to you on our doorstep, but I wouldn't change places,

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I took the VTR on a ride to Sherman to show my dad. He has been so very interested in my progress with the bike. He is not a rider and to my knowledge has never thrown a leg over a bike but he is a great mechanic and has a keen interest in mechanical things. He asks me, every time he sees me "how's that bike coming?' He was tickled that I brought it for him to see (and hear) and we spend some time outside looking it over and talking about its finer points. The day was nice for him to be out and I sat on the porch with both my mom and dad and just enjoyed the pleasant weather. On the way back the Superhawk and I got better acquainted as we Waltzed Across Texas. We also stopped for a brief photo shoot.

I have gotten more and more comfortable with the bike. The bottom end rattle does not bother me as much. I have learned to keep the revs up in the corners and I have developed "Triumph wrist." This is what we used to call it in the old days when all Triumphs had worn out Amals and you had to flick the throttle, every now and then, to keep it idling. I have learned that if I ride in 5th gear I can keep it at marginally legal speeds.

Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Had a good run down and back up the A68 today. I've changed my mind on bar end weights. Extended running over 5k and the vibes do get to you.

On the way back I caught an open top Aston Martin and followed him for a few miles. The old guy (probably nearly as old as me) was a maniac. Some of his overtakes made me squeal. I couldn't decide whether to be impressed (nothing worse than seeing a fast car being driven by a pussy) or to feel sorry for the oncoming poor saps who had to slam on the brakes to give him room to get back in. I waved as I went past.....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Watty

Post by Watty »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Had a good run down and back up the A68 today. I've changed my mind on bar end weights. Extended running over 5k and the vibes do get to you.

On the way back I caught an open top Aston Martin and followed him for a few miles. The old guy (probably nearly as old as me) was a maniac. Some of his overtakes made me squeal. I couldn't decide whether to be impressed (nothing worse than seeing a fast car being driven by a pussy) or to feel sorry for the oncoming poor saps who had to slam on the brakes to give him room to get back in. I waved as I went past.....
I'm guessing you're local to me if you did the 68?!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Yup. Hexham.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Watty

Post by Watty »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Yup. Hexham.
An! I'm working at keepershield quarry near Chollerford at the moment!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yesterday had a great ride to Rexham and back , some nice roads over that way .
Absolutely cover the bird in flys
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

lloydie wrote:Yesterday had a great ride to Rexham and back , some nice roads over that way .
Absolutely cover the bird in flys
Yeah was a nice ride down. Shame in was on the back of you and not on my bike :sad:

No the Italian stallion hasn't broken down but I went to go and buy her a friend. Something a bit more suited for distance and hopefully something the wife will be comfy on.

So for those of you that don't know, yesterday saw the purchase and rather "risky" ride home of this........

ImageImage

Extra inc: full hard luggage, scotch oiler, double bubble screen, mirror extenders, rider lower pegs, an alarmed disc lock, a super bright indicator warning lamp and bar risers.

Extras on the way: all singing ohlins rear shock with remote preload.

I have to any I was quite taken back by the ride home. I had spent 10mins on lloyds the other week and thought it was any bit bland and crap, but i have to say. I'm quite impressed :biggrin couple of mods to do, raise the rear as I can't get banked over enough without grinding the pegs out and have a play with the bar position but I'm happy

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

scotch oiler
Tasty!

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

ahhh a pair of midland storms. if you squint :lol:

either of you two (ck/lloydie), know a guy round leamington way called chris allen who,s in the motor trade and does bike Mot,s ? his son had a vtr but has just sold it ??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

The name rings a bell for some reason but haven't a clue why.

I wouldn't both squinting, these are both far superior to the storm :wink: and it's my first il4 :shock:

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

his son is called Dan Allen, who just sold the firestorm and Chris , who is a cousin of mine has just sold a vfr of some sort.

first time ive spoken to him for about 35 years yesterday and he has a bit of a storm connection :roll:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Don't ring a Bell to me sorry