Re: Telephone Cold Callers.

General Biker Banter
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

Timbo wrote:
VTRbob wrote:my dad gets alot of these calls,he talks to them for ages,wants to know the ins & outs of everything then tells them he'll let them know when he's asked his landlord :lol: they hang up on him :thumbup:

Bloody Hell!!!! BOB!! Good to see u around again mate.

a up bud :wave: i keep a eye on whats happening,dont sign in if ive nowt to say, anyway im back on a v twin, but its a sv1000s, with renthal bar conversion of coarse :thumbup:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

tony.mon wrote:Some years ago, there was a flurry of calls that started with "can I ask you a question?"
Now as you don't know what question it's going to be, it's curiosity that makes you say "ok".

They then said " If you could have all the windows in your house double-glazed for free, how many would you need?"

Now this was clever- it needs a response other than "yes" or "no", but doesn't commit the listener to anything, so feels safe.

After the fourth or fifth time they called, the conversation went like this:
Cold-Caller (CC): Could I ask you a question?
Me: 7.
CC: But I haven't asked you the question yet.
Me: No, but it's about how many double-glazed windows I want if they're free, isn't it?
CC: Yes- but how did you know?
Me: This is the Psychic Helpline. I've been waiting for you to call; in fact you're a bit late, I expect you've been busy.
CC:(long pause) I see. (pause). Well, in that case, we have a consultant in your area on Wednesday or Thursday this week; when is the most convenient day for you?
Me: Actually, I need you to give me a call around July next year, if that's possible. Perhaps you could diary it for me.
CC: Why might that be?
Me: Because I'm due to win on the lottery next April; the cheque should have cleared by then. Nothing major, just a few thousand, but enough to do the double-glazing and book a holiday in the Maldives for the family.
CC: (even longer pause) Erm (pause) Right- I'll do that; speak to you next year, then.............

I do love messing with people's heads..... :P

You should hear me with Jehovah's Nuisances.......
Class!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Nice one Tony :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

Pete.L wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Some years ago, there was a flurry of calls that started with "can I ask you a question?"
Now as you don't know what question it's going to be, it's curiosity that makes you say "ok".

They then said " If you could have all the windows in your house double-glazed for free, how many would you need?"

Now this was clever- it needs a response other than "yes" or "no", but doesn't commit the listener to anything, so feels safe.

After the fourth or fifth time they called, the conversation went like this:
Cold-Caller (CC): Could I ask you a question?
Me: 7.
CC: But I haven't asked you the question yet.
Me: No, but it's about how many double-glazed windows I want if they're free, isn't it?
CC: Yes- but how did you know?
Me: This is the Psychic Helpline. I've been waiting for you to call; in fact you're a bit late, I expect you've been busy.
CC:(long pause) I see. (pause). Well, in that case, we have a consultant in your area on Wednesday or Thursday this week; when is the most convenient day for you?
Me: Actually, I need you to give me a call around July next year, if that's possible. Perhaps you could diary it for me.
CC: Why might that be?
Me: Because I'm due to win on the lottery next April; the cheque should have cleared by then. Nothing major, just a few thousand, but enough to do the double-glazing and book a holiday in the Maldives for the family.
CC: (even longer pause) Erm (pause) Right- I'll do that; speak to you next year, then.............

I do love messing with people's heads..... :P

You should hear me with Jehovah's Nuisances.......
Class!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Nice one Tony :thumbup:
+ 1 :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: looking forward to the next tony installment :biggrin
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
rmh

Post by rmh »

Just a heads up.

we started getting loads of cold calls all of a sudden even though on TPS and Ex-dir, when we asked where they got the number was told from the BT phone book...????

When i checked we were listed on BT web direvtory after being ex-dir for 8 years ???

When i complained to BT they admitted they had migrated to a new system 11 months ago and the flags for TPS and ex-dir had been lost on my account. They claim it was isolated but refuse to tell me how many were affected, they kept ringing me back and offering free line rental for extra months (Even on Sunday`s) but i have forwarded a complaint to the Information Commisioner as they have released my personal information without my consent.

Still waiting for the outcome but NOT IMPRESSED, its taken weeks of messing about but the calls have started to die off, and any i still get have a very short conversation.

My final point is that BT CLAIM that your TPS is time limited and you need to renew iton a regular basis... this sounds like a crock of &^*^

Rob
Rob Hunter

VTR1000 '99 / BMW S1000XR - 2016
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

don't you rofl when an extremely ethnic gent calls with an un decipherable accent and tells you his name is steven jones lol.
i recently had a spate of calls from 'fairfax' solicitors over a 6 year old debt, which they should know is expired and unenforceable...
they insisted i confirm personal details over the fone.
i told them straight that in these days of identity theft, i was not prepared to give them any personal info over the fone, as i dion't know them from adam.

he then told me quite abruptly that he was a solicitor and could force information from me if i didn't answer his questions!
i explained politely that if he was a solicitor, he would be in a winebar or restaurant at 8pm, not ringing me to try to force me to pay an unenforceable debt 2 weeks before christmas lol.
I said i hope this call is recorded so your colleagues can listen back and see what a tw@ you've made of yourself!

best one is to let them go through their sales pitch for a hour, then get passed to a closer and tell them you are on benefits and rent. :D
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.