headlight covers and the plod

General Biker Banter
fritz

Re: headlight covers and the plod

Post by fritz »

Zakalwe wrote:
fritz wrote:if conditions are dark and your head light is on, then you are in breach of the law.

it is perfectly legal to have no headlight whatsoever, aslong as you obtain a daylight hours MOT!! it negaites the use of lights.

as said in the earlier post, any forward facing light must be white (or some shitty off yellow colour apparently if you inclued EU laws) rear light are to be red (reverse lights as per front facing) and indicators orange.

but the law only applies to illuminated lights!!

go and ask your MOT tester for advice on this, he will confirm it. and after all, the MOT tester is the enforcer of the law is he not??? he is the man who says if your bike is fit for the road!!
A "daylight" MOT doesn't exist for a start...it is a standard MOT with a advisement that there are no lights.

Secondly, a "daylight" MOT does not mean a bike is legal. Any Plod that knows his onions (thankfully it is a grey area and not many do) can still do you under "Construction and Use" regs....for instance, a bike can pass a "daylight " MOT without a brake light. Try riding it past a copper that knows his stuff and you will get done.

The MOT man is not an enforcer of the law....the Dibble and the courts are. The MOT only shows that the bike is roadworthy (in so far as it has no obvious mechanical defects), not that it is road-legal (ie not that it complies with Construction and Use regs).

Another example: If a bike was made after a certain date - I think it's 1991 - and was fitted with lights when it left the factory, then it must retain them to be legal for road use, unless you have put it through single vehicle approval test - basically to register it as a separate model.
what ever you want to call it, my mate had no lights fitted on his bike for a few years but it always passed the mot!! it was a 2004 ducati monster btw.

he did eventually give up riding in this manner due to the constant stopping by the plod for having no lights and the need for the producers of the necessary documents!!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

doesn't it actually say on the mot cert 'this is not a certificate of roadworthiness' ???

i'm sure i saw that - and wondered wtf it was then seeing as it just cost me a arm & a leg.
next time i'll print my own and hax the dvla pooter. :think:

You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

IIRC a yellow headlight cover is OK as it is the same as continental Europe uses as std (technically) for their car lheadlights. I find on my (yellow) 'Storm that people see the yellow light produced via the yellow cover much better than just a std, ordinary white light etc.

LSM
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!