Tyre pressures ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
oldbikeman

Re: Tyre pressures ?

Post by oldbikeman »

If it was not a health issue I would not say more so it's a matter of common sense.Is someone in say Australia and someone in Norway both going to require 42 psi? Honda should use a pressure range in a similar fashion as it does motor oil.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

oldbikeman wrote:If it was not a health issue I would not say more so it's a matter of common sense.Is someone in say Australia and someone in Norway both going to require 42 psi? Honda should use a pressure range in a similar fashion as it does motor oil.
I think the tyre manufacturers would know best, IMHO?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

The differences in pressures are for different situations, temperature affects pressure.
The aim is for the tyre to have the correct contact patch, this happens when the correct pressure is reached during use.
Pottering around you need more INITIAL psi, than if you are doing a hot raceday.
The tyre profile is maintained by starting with an initial pressure that will increase with use to the correct pressure to hold the contact patch/profile at the recommended shape.
I have race tyres on my storm, and they grip well, on track you can hardly touch the tyres they are so hot, but road use they just get pretty warm,You would need to ride like a nutter to get the same heat as on a track.
Actually what you need is a strain gauge to measure tyre deformity at a certain force/shove, then you could ignore pressures, and go by tyre flex/hardness?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I think it depends on the tyres fitted, but with the Sport Tour tyres I have on just now [mich pilot road 2CT], they need to be very close to the reccomended pressure.
I used to be of the school to run tyres a bit below the setting as I want a bit of compliance on bumpy roads and I fould that helped. but on the trip to wales last month, the front end of my bike was feeling like the bearings had gone, the turn in was really non linear, and I was taking tight hairpins in 3 or 4 jagged lines.........only when settled in fast sweepers would it feel planted, and even then the turn in was a leap of faith.

I stopped for petrol and checked the front tyre pressure............36psi.......so I took it up to 40 [was already hot] and the bike returned to the way it should have been......nice neutral turn in and very predicatable.

so for those tyres that dont get hot, no matter how hard you use them on the road, stay at the makers reccomendation, they do have a significant effect on the steering.
AMcQ