Prov licence, training question

General Biker Banter
vtrnewb90

Re: Prov licence, training question

Post by vtrnewb90 »

Forgot to mention many bikes run like crap restricted buying a big bike they choking it to 33bhp can't be good. A girl I new bought a brand new r6 restricted and it was terrible. I would say an rs125 is a good choice unrestricted is around 33bhp will learn about 2 strokes when needs to be rebuilt, it's also a lot of fun being so light, I reckon what's the point of buying a 600 to a 1000 if its going to be restricted for two years, then what's to say after two years riding it he may want to change anyway. Unless of course the restrictor was to fall out a few months down The line :eek2
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

vtrnewb90 wrote:That's a lot of money being quite young I took my test when I was 17, can't remember how long before they changed it to two part but I only paid around 450/500 for three days training and test. My friends had to do the two part test about a year later they paid no more than 800 with three days training. Unfortunately are bikes kept coughing out the restrictors. :twisted:
When I turned 19 was legally allowed to ride anything was great. compared to a car insurance is pennies on bikes for young lads.
Now being 21 with a firestorm I guess that's young :cool2:
Yeh. I'm 24. I just renewed my insurance and managed to get it down to £145. My mates with cars of relatively comparable speed (Impreza and 350Z) are paying £1500 and £1200! 8O
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Steve6088 wrote:
vtrnewb90 wrote:That's a lot of money being quite young I took my test when I was 17, can't remember how long before they changed it to two part but I only paid around 450/500 for three days training and test. My friends had to do the two part test about a year later they paid no more than 800 with three days training. Unfortunately are bikes kept coughing out the restrictors. :twisted:
When I turned 19 was legally allowed to ride anything was great. compared to a car insurance is pennies on bikes for young lads.
Now being 21 with a firestorm I guess that's young :cool2:
Yeh. I'm 24. I just renewed my insurance and managed to get it down to £145. My mates with cars of relatively comparable speed (Impreza and 350Z) are paying £1500 and £1200! 8O
How many miles? and who's that with?

im 26 now had the storm 3 and a bit years, Mine is 350 quid a year garaged, Datatag Stystem 3, smart water, 10000 miles, Commuting to work included, 2 NCB,

For 150 quid im thinking you must have lied through your teeth!!
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
vtrnewb90

Post by vtrnewb90 »

Mine is 360 I think. I'm 21 1 years ncb just put on my insurance for social use, its also in a garage. I will have a look who I am with when I get home.
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

seb421 wrote:
How many miles? and who's that with?

im 26 now had the storm 3 and a bit years, Mine is 350 quid a year garaged, Datatag Stystem 3, smart water, 10000 miles, Commuting to work included, 2 NCB,

For 150 quid im thinking you must have lied through your teeth!!
I only do 2000 miles a year and use my bike for pleasure :wink: Was with Express insurance. I have 4 years NCB (2 from riding on CBT) so I think that lowers it. I insured it at my parents address in Chester, as apposed to Manchester which lowers it a fair bit (it might invalidate the theft side of the insurance, but I was only going to get third party anyway).

It was £260 just third party. Put was £145 with fire+ theft for some reason.
T8ull

Post by T8ull »

Suzuki GS 500 e, the slingshot some are called. I took my lessons on this in 1999 and it seemed plenty. Direct access costed about £750 then. I did half day lessons, then took the test. I'm not a huge fan of intense 4 day courses with a test at the end, sometimes a week between lessons gives you time to reflect. I didn't save any money by doing half days, but didn't spend any more either. I was 27 when I passed. 6 bikes later found the one for me. Vtr, vtrhahahaha, vtr, vtr :lol:
.........So far, so good, so what!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

vtrnewb90 wrote:Mine is in a garage. I will have a look with when I get home.
:eek2
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vtrnewb90

Post by vtrnewb90 »

tony.mon wrote:
vtrnewb90 wrote:Mine is in a garage. I will have a look with when I get home.
:eek2
They asked me what material it was made out of I said all wood being that its really a big wooden shed at the bottom of my garden :biggrin If anything did happen to my bike hopefully not, I would indicate that is where it was stored :twisted:
Wicky

Re: Details of new licence regime confirmed

Post by Wicky »

All change again...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... EPI-134567
Details of a new motorcycle licence regime to be implemented next year have been confirmed by the Driving Standards Agency.

The new rules will limit all riders under 19 to 125cc machines and under-21s to 47bhp.

Those aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine up to 125cc and 15bhp by taking a test on a bike of similar spec.

At 19 they can qualify for a bike up to 47bhp by doing another test or undertaking additional training. This must be done on a machine over 395cc and between 33bhp and 47bhp.

They then face a further two-year wait – and yet another test or further training - before they can qualify to ride a bike of any power.

Alternatively, people over 24 can take a single Direct Access test to immediately qualify for bikes of any power. This test must be taken on a machine of at least 595cc and 54bhp.

Each step-up in power will involve a further test or training. A DSA release said: ‘The feasibility of the training option is currently being looked into; a final decision is yet to be made.’
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
vtrnewb90

Post by vtrnewb90 »

Wow what a bunch of s**t you don't see 17 year olds when they past there car test restricted.
Talking about trying to get bikers of the road who would want to go all threw that would cost a fortune.
pariah

Post by pariah »

If this helps, look for local bike clubs. they some times train new riders for free and they provide the bikes aswell. My partners found a local bike club that did this and she learned with them first, only cost her a very small fee each week to cover the insurance and fuel used . Hope that helps ?
Before you part with any cash , ask around about the people your going to use , so are no good :thumbup:
masterdave

Post by masterdave »

If i was getting a restricted bike again id go for a 500 twin just like i did when i was limited to 33bhp, honda cb500s are really really good bikes and take much abuse, i had a gpz 500 when i was restricted.