Fuel consumption

General Bike chat
darkember

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by darkember »

I have managed 52 on a long run by riding smoothly. Check tyre pressures are correct. 36/42
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds daft but I do think you have to learn to ride them to get the best out of them.
Wrong gear and wrong amount of throttle and they will slurp the juice. Also, in the winter mines always ran rougher. I put it down to all that cold air going down it throat and giving it an inefficient burn. It's the same on the SP too. Take it out on a warm day and it will give me an extra few miles to the gallon and feel much stronger.

Best on the Firestorm was 48 mpg. Normal average about 42-44 and worst about 28 but that was on a track.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Virt

Post by Virt »

I thought engines were more efficient in the cold as the air would be denser?

I've got everything between 45 and 18 so far :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Virt wrote:I thought engines were more efficient in the cold as the air would be denser?
So you might think or on a rainy day more humidity in the air to increase compression?

Reality is, there are so many parameters it's not just one on it's own but optimizing all of them combined which will give you the best efficiency. As always, some items will have a greater affect then others and a perfect balance will probably be very difficult to obtain repeatedly, but some ball park settings should obtain similar levels of results in my opinion.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
budd

Post by budd »

My current Storm ('97MY) gives 70-80 miles from brimmed to fuel light, ridden on A & B roads which I think is pretty much the norm.
The worst ever fuel consumption I experienced was in '99 at the TT on my first Storm which I bought new it '98 it was stock apart from a couple of extra teeth on the back sprocket
I brimmed it in Ramsey then an early morning lap of the course me following (or trying to follow) my ex racer mate on a ZX7, I could just about keep him in sight, anyway full lap back to Ramsey then over the mountain again to Douglas my fuel light came on as I passed the pits on the start/finish straight, grand total of 48 miles :eek2
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I got 102 mile to the rlod last tank :-( taking it easy
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

What speed are you doing in top at 5000rpm, gearing may have been badly altered etc!!! to low on front or high on the back, iam newish but 16f and 41 rear i think is standard.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

bigtwinthing wrote:What speed are you doing in top at 5000rpm, gearing may have been badly altered etc!!! to low on front or high on the back, iam newish but 16f and 41 rear i think is standard.
You would need a GPS to answer that question as the speedo reads from the trans not the front wheel.
So no matter what the gearing the speedo will read the same MPH at a given RPM .
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
lloydie

Fuel consumption

Post by lloydie »

I normally get 83 miles to the light but I never cruse :-) standard gearing too.
I use more fuel than ck or amcq on the same run because in nearly twice there weight :-) 20 stone kitted up in race leathers (fat fooker)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lloydie wrote:I normally get 83 miles to the light but I never cruse :-) standard gearing too.
I use more fuel than ck or amcq on the same run because in nearly twice there weight :-) 20 stone kitted up in race leathers (fat fooker)
its ok, I was hanging back to allow you to slipstream me to improve your fuel consumption :lol:
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yer yer the trouble with that is your not much of a wind beaker ! You skinny fec !! Put on some weight so I can go faster :-)
It better still you sit behind me and we both can go supersonic :-)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

8541Hawk wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:What speed are you doing in top at 5000rpm, gearing may have been badly altered etc!!! to low on front or high on the back, iam newish but 16f and 41 rear i think is standard.
You would need a GPS to answer that question as the speedo reads from the trans not the front wheel.
So no matter what the gearing the speedo will read the same MPH at a given RPM .
oh ok, what i meant was the gearing may be altered so its actually doing high revs but low speed, does that make sense???
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

My X11 takes about £22 to fill from empty, and fuel light comes on at 120 miles, I don't think big bikes like to conserve petrol, what makes the storm worse is the fact of the small tank.