how much would you pay?

General Bike chat
callam_nffc

Re: how much would you pay?

Post by callam_nffc »

thanks, well all will be revealed tomorrow so fingers crossed :)

its also only two miles from my house which is handy, only found by accident and insurance is cheap for my age (23)
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Is it my imagination, but used bike prices seem to be creaping back up. Couple of years back, I bought a 2001 blade with 12000 on it, mint, for £2250. Sold it 4 months later for £2750. Then bought my 1999 Storm for £1500 with 8000 on it , this ones older with higher mileage, for nearly £1800. The bargains seem to be few and far between these days.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Have a look for mine on eBay, 97 on an R with 30k.

Finishes tomorrow at 1pm ish. 0 bids but 70 odd people watching. When that finishes tomorrow, that might give you an idea of the market rate.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much more for 'showroom condition' as a ride out into Wales and getting caught in the rain will soon change that.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I completely agree lee, when I bought my first big bike 3 years ago you could see a million and one bikes for under a grand and that's with long tax and mot, now it seems few and far between for anything decent

send me a link ziggy?
neil

Post by neil »

check condition of tank under the cover, seat cowl should be matching colour. As mentioned earlier CCT (cam chain tensioner) is the storms weak point. It should be the manual adjustment type if it isn't haggle because it is the first job to do. Original Honda part can fail with no warning causing valve damage. I think it's priced high (I paid less than that 8 years ago for 1998 model with 11,000 miles on it) but it's worth what your prepared to pay. They are good bikes.
redvtr
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Miztaziggy wrote:Have a look for mine on eBay, 97 on an R with 30k.

Finishes tomorrow at 1pm ish. 0 bids but 70 odd people watching. When that finishes tomorrow, that might give you an idea of the market rate.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much more for 'showroom condition' as a ride out into Wales and getting caught in the rain will soon change that.
I don't agree. Showroom condition is a good indicator that the previous owner(s) have kept on top of maintenence, as well as cleaning. Plus that is you buy it clean, its easy to keep it that way, and get a bit of your investment back on resale.

If the cleaning has been neglected, what else has ??
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

leevtr wrote:
Miztaziggy wrote:Have a look for mine on eBay, 97 on an R with 30k.

I don't agree. Showroom condition is a good indicator that the previous owner(s) have kept on top of maintenence, as well as cleaning. Plus that is you buy it clean, its easy to keep it that way, and get a bit of your investment back on resale.

If the cleaning has been neglected, what else has ??
Yes I suppose that is true, but just because the bike is clean doesn't mean it's been well looked after mechanically.

I would rather buy a bike needing a good clean and polish with a ton of receipts and real proof of work done, than a really clean bike with the owners word that the work has been done.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

callam_nffc wrote:I completely agree lee, when I bought my first big bike 3 years ago you could see a million and one bikes for under a grand and that's with long tax and mot, now it seems few and far between for anything decent

send me a link ziggy?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-HONDA-VT ... 3049227%26
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

very nice mate, I think the full belly pan and high rise exhausts really look the business :)

not convinced my Mrs would like the exhausts burning her butt though haha
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Callam. have you ridden a 1000 twin before ??

Don't want to sound patronising, but they are very different to 4 pots, and you youngsters can be a bit excitable with the throttle.

Just a friendly ' be careful ' mate.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

no I havnt lee and I expect it to be a complete different kettle of fish to my old long term bike, that was a thundercat, downsprocketed a couple of teeth but still not the lively front end I expect from a twin

I will probably be too busy messing my pants over the noise haha
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

callam_nffc wrote:very nice mate, I think the full belly pan and high rise exhausts really look the business :)

not convinced my Mrs would like the exhausts burning her butt though haha
the high pipes shouldnt be a problem and I dont remember Mrs Ziggy being bothered by the pipes [mind you it was torrential rain and she was freezing and wet], but a heat shield on the link pipes might ensure you avoid burning her calves when she is getting on and off..........but she should be wearing leathers anyway, and even on a low level pipe it can be a risk!
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Callam, I bought a Storm having owned an FZR for 12 years and my first ride was the one home from buying it. Despite it being a foggy night and travelling down from York to Hertford, and the low fuel warning coming on at Peterborough, I was smiling all the way home. The engine speed decieves you into believing you are carrying less speed than you are, and the engine braking will lose speed very quickly which can come as a surprise to following vehicles.
Once you get used to the character of the V Twin you'll enjoy it more and more.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Well....compared to a T-Cat the storms going to feel like a sledgehammer hitting you up the rear. Simillar power top end, but a completely different delivery ( Basically it will feel like you get all 100 horses at once. ) Take it easy, don't want to hear that it's ended in tears. :thumbup:
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Looking at the pictures it does need CCTs and as everyone has said whats under the tank cover.

Also check under the cowl, I didnt and my seat has a small tear in it.

Good luck.

:beer: