Why do you own a firestorm...

General Biker Banter
templ8

Re: Why do you own a firestorm...

Post by templ8 »

I had a KTM Duke2 and a workmate had bought a yellow storm from a friend of a friend, but as he needed it collecting quickly and he had no helmet or leathers I offered to get it for him.
On the ride to his house i fell in love with it but didn't like the colour (yellow).
I sold the KTM and looked around the dealers online, found this standard low miles well looked after red storm at Preston superbikes, went up with a mate to look at it, took it for a quick spin, got lost, found my way back after half an hour and bought it on the spot.
That was nearly 5 years ago.

Would like an sp1 but the insurance is 6 times the price of the storm and i can't justify the difference
seb421

Post by seb421 »

I got the storm when i passed in 2008 because my dad wanted an RR3 blade and being bank of mum and dad i could pay my dad without the hassle of a bank

if i didn't start on the storm i probably would have got a Supermoto having had motocross bikes they felt natural when i tried a mates

I always considered the storm as a bit of a girls bike never the fire breathing monster of the TLS it was mild mannered and softly set up from the factory and looks naff without a full lower fairing, so the storm would have never been my first choice of bike

of course tho it took a hold and i fell for the bike more with every modification i made

I'm sad to no longer see the VTR but glad to have the GSXR 1000 k6, if it wasn't a Gixxer it would have to be a RR7 HRC blade or a 1098 / 1198 Duke in Tricolor
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Ended up with mine by accident. Had looked at them before and they never really made me want one. I had a GSX1100F for sale on ebay and a lad asked me if I fancied a swap. When the GSX didn`t sell, he got back in touch, rode up from London way, swapped his kit over and rode mine home. My reasoning was that the Storm would be easier to sell on, didn`t even have a proper ride on it for a good few days........but then I took it out for a good blast :twisted: I`d been on my mates Dukes and SP`s before but a long time ago and so the V twin experience was a distant memory. Once I came back grinning from ear to ear I decided this was a keeper :thumbup: Changed my mindset so much that a couple of months later I was lucky enough to pick up the SP1 as well. :D
The Storm is now definitely the most ridden bike of the bunch and still makes me grin everytime the front wheel lifts...... ( :shh: :lol: )
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i would probably say, the best made, most reliable, reasonably performance bike you can buy for the money. and i do like the bike. :D Very underrated to be honest and up until December i had never ridden one and ive had over 40 bikes. i hope it will last me for years yet, its only done 5800 miles.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I cant remember, it was 10yrs ago :lol:

What I wanted was a torque monster old school engine that had the same characteristics as my old 2 valve GS1000 had...... you know, when it feels like the throttle cable is attached to the speedo even in top gear. I had been running a 4valve GSX 750 before I went racing, and I knew I didnt want that type of bike again as it needed revs to get it moving, so I headed to big V twins as the obvious solution.

Ducati was too fagile back then, and I was never too keen on the 900SS looks, the Suzuki was a strange looking beast but the Honda was kind of clasical looking, single colour and slim flowing lines. One test ride and I was parting with my cash and I used it lots for 2 or 3 yrs, but it then got ignored when I was more into enduro and then Trials.........and it has sat in my garage for 5rs but only in the last 3yrs have I fallen back in love with it........but I am very glad I kept it and now I just keep changing it to suit what I want from a bike and I have no plans of changing it
AMcQ
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Had a lot of inline 4's and supermotos, I had an Aprilia RSVR a few years ago and liked the grunt low down of the big v twin so fancied another and like Hondas so started looking for a mint one about two years ago then a year later I bought mine with only 1800 miles on it. I do love it but would like another KTM 690 at some point :D
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

It's interesting reading your replays. It seems the vast majority went with the bike for then engine rather than anything else. How many of you like it for its riding position? I have to admit I found it a bit uncomfortable so raised my bars up on the forks by 5mm or so. I know some of you have done the same and other have done the same as me and a few have fitted new bars completely. How did you find the difference your mods to the riding position change the bike? Ie feel, comfort and handling.
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

No its not the most comfortable bike I have owned, gixxers as in gsxr 750's suit my frame or nakeds/supermotos. Its engine and reliability why I bought my storm.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Ckennedy wrote:It's interesting reading your replays. It seems the vast majority went with the bike for then engine rather than anything else. How many of you like it for its riding position? I have to admit I found it a bit uncomfortable so raised my bars up on the forks by 5mm or so. I know some of you have done the same and other have done the same as me and a few have fitted new bars completely. How did you find the difference your mods to the riding position change the bike? Ie feel, comfort and handling.
Oh, it`s also one of the best handling bikes I own or have owned. Rides like it`s on rails, great combination of grunt and engine braking, riding position is pretty much spot on for a short butt like me, keeps up with and puts to shame some of the more "glamorous" offerings available :twisted: . Upgrades include Scorpion race cans, WP rear shock, resprung forks and full PFM brake set up on the front, so stops on a sixpence.(All fitted before I got it so a real bargain bike) All round a cracking package. Would buy another tomorrow without hesitation and can`t see me selling this one anytime soon. :thumbup:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

The same reason I have kept it for 13 years now. I am reminded every time I just wind the throttle on in 4th or 5th, it pulls like hell and sounds awesome. I still grin like a loon when I do that. :D
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

whitestorm pete

Post by whitestorm pete »

always liked the sound of these bikes. i was out one day on me 600 and a tl 1000 with micros thunderd past me with such a sweet v twin grunt! i thought to my self i needs me a v twin :D thing is im a honda man through and through so firestorm it was! i love the bike and there is alot to do and change on the bike so it keeps interested and to be honest apart from an sp2 nout really turns my head! :thumbup:
If sh1t were money you would be worth a fortune
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The commute was country lanes, so a Blackbird (which is what I was after) wouldn't have suited, really.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
silver storm

Post by silver storm »

I was out of biking for 13 years after having quite a few bikes my son bought a 125 last year that gave me the bug again I looked at a few bikes but didn't fancy anything then I saw the storm for sale. One of the mates that has a R1 told me it would pass most things but a petrol station trying to put me off but I liked the look and the sound of it it definetly isn't as smooth as a big four but I love it.
Stevie
adyf

Post by adyf »

I think It's because they are cheap and you can really fiddle with em atleast that's why I bought mine,love to tinker,first big v twin I have owned and other than a guzzi or Ducati will never swap it,when it bores me in a year or two might try nitrous far a laugh ! V twins seem to have soul,it feels alive when I ride it and so do I.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Ckennedy wrote:It's interesting reading your replays. It seems the vast majority went with the bike for then engine rather than anything else. How many of you like it for its riding position? I have to admit I found it a bit uncomfortable so raised my bars up on the forks by 5mm or so. I know some of you have done the same and other have done the same as me and a few have fitted new bars completely. How did you find the difference your mods to the riding position change the bike? Ie feel, comfort and handling.
I ran my bars 5mm higher like you have, but now with ultra low renthals it is much more comfortable and it works just fine for high speed malarkey as well....wish I had tried it years ago? And the s let me put the pegs in a better place for my long legs and I have the seat built up a bit higher (and a gel pad) but apart from that it was a comfortable bike :lol:
AMcQ