Help, trouble sourcing fork springs...

General Bike chat
AMCQ46

Re: Help, trouble sourcing fork springs...

Post by AMCQ46 »

Chris,
if you plan to take a pillion make sure your shock is easy to adjust the preload..............take it from me that getting in there with an adjuster spanner is a nightmare and that is why I traded my old WP shock for a Nitron with remote preload adjuster
AMcQ
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I do need something that is easier to adjust than the standard one. Fed up of trapping fingers from the adjustable spanner slipping off. Would like a remote adjuster one. What kind of price you looking at for one?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I had problems trying to adjust marty's standard one to the highest setting :roll: the other day. If the handle on the C Spanner bent downwards or was a sort off Z shape then it would fall below the subframe bar and make things easier.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I cant get mine to go above the 5th setting, which is fine when it is just me but when the missus jumps on I would rather it was on 6 or 7. It just won't go. Something easy to adjust is a must.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Did you try adjusting from the opposite side. I find I have to alternate between both sides of the bike. It's bad design. Even if the handle was bent down or the C spanner was at a 45 degree angle it would be easier. The only other way would be to undo the mounting bolts on the subframe and pull that back out the way as the spanner gets caught between this and the frame.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I do do it from both sides of the bike. Just can not get it past the 5th one. It's shot really. I think its still to stiff for just me even on the lowest setting. And yes I know your thinking "just eat more pies" iv tried that. It diesnt work haha. I have gained 4kg in 5years and I eat like a pig :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

5th shocked man !! Mine is on 3rd and its set right for my weight !!!!
And I'm a lot bigger than you
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

5th was with the missus on the back, not just little old me :lol: I have been out with it set to be with the missus on the back as I forgot to change it back, it was like riding on bumpy icy. Felt every bump in the road and the back end did not feel planted at all. Never make that mistake again :lol:
Virt

Post by Virt »

What difference does it make with where the rear suspension is? I have mine on the second from highest setting and it's fine.. And weigh the best part of 65-70kg :confused
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

The rear springs are progressive so the higher the pre load on the spring the harder it is to get it to compress. The more force the spring has on it the harder it becomes to push down. Hope that makes some sense.
Virt

Post by Virt »

So because mine is set quite high, it's a lot easier for the spring to bounce up and down over every crack and cranny in the road surface.. Whereas if I set it lower, to my weight, the bike will feel smoother over said bumps because the suspension will take it in the same way but the spring is unable to bounce in the same way? Hmm... I'll have a look in the handbook whenever I find it for the weight setting I need then. There are some horrible bumps in the road (about 3 inches high, and like 10 of them) on my new commute.. That might be the solution to keep myself fertile :lol: Thanks :thumbup:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

If it is set to high it won't bounce at all. It will be like having a solid bar between the swing arm and the rest of the bike. Lloyd has his set on 3rd from bottom on his bike and mine is set to the 1st one. You may find the first fine but maybe the 2nd one. You will have to have a play around on your storm with the suspension when you can ride it. Whether your hornet shock is a lighter weight or not I do not know but I would imagine so. You could always look into going to somewhere like k tech who do a full suspension set up for 40quid I think they said it was to me on the phone. When I get my new springs fitted if I can not get them feeling quite right on my own then getting a pro to set it up is what I shall be doing.
Virt

Post by Virt »

With the hornet I'm just gonna experiment to be honest. Not all that bothered, it rides fine as it is. It's the storm that's definitely gonna need setting up, otherwise I've missed the entire point of having an Ohlins :lol:

And oh okay. So I just got it the wrong way round then? :( :shh: